Introduction to UK Academic Study and British Culture with Sport Science
31 July - 11 August 2017
Experience Sheffield Hallam University while learning more about British culture and society.
Our summer school offers a first-class learning experience as well as a real taste of university life. Our tutors are experienced teachers who will give you an overview of studying in the UK and contemporary British life.
The programme includes cultural activities which support your learning in the classroom, such as tours around Sheffield and Yorkshire, visits to York, Whitby and afternoon/evening social activities. We have also organised an independent three-day trip to London.
On the summer school, you will
- experience the excitement of student life in Sheffield, UK
- learn about British culture and society
- improve your confidence and intercultural skills
- develop your academic abilities
- experience sport science at Sheffield Hallam University
You'll attend lectures from our experts in sport science. Our teaching and research staff are industry and academic experts. They bring an in-depth understanding of their industry or sector to their teaching so you'll benefit from the wealth and breadth of their experience.
Here is a sample timetable of the first week of the summer school. Please note that the places on the London trip are limited so apply early.
You will be in the classroom up to 15 hours per week.
You will stay in student accommodation (a residence managed by the University in partnership with private landlords) which is within walking distance of the University. You will have use of a single study bedroom with ensuite shower and toilet, and access to a shared kitchen.
On-site laundry facilities and Wi-Fi internet connection are also provided in the halls of residence.
How much does it cost?
The price of the 2017 summer school is £1,350 per student.
If you return to Sheffield Hallam to study an undergraduate or postgraduate course, you could be eligible for at least a £1,000* discount. Find out more about our scholarships and discounts for full-time study here.
* Terms and conditions apply
The price includes
- a meet and greet service at Manchester Airport on 29 or 30 July 2017 only
- return trip to Manchester airport on 12 or 13 August 2017 only
- tuition fees, field trips and entrance fees for visits which are part of the summer school programme
- student accommodation in Sheffield in single-occupancy bedrooms with private en-suite bathroom, and shared kitchen facilities
- an independent trip to London with a two-night stay in shared rooms
- orientation programme, including a walking tour of Sheffield and the University
- wireless internet access on university premises and in the accommodation
- calendar of social events, such as welcome reception, trips, tours, evening social events, and farewell party with dinner
The price does not include
- roundtrip airfare and/or other travel costs for getting to the UK
- local travel in the UK
- travel or medical insurance
- breakfast, lunch and dinners and beverages (unless specified)
- accommodation for friends and family of students
- cost of additional travel at weekends
- entrance fees to London tourist attractions
English language requirements
Please note that to fully benefit from the summer school, all international applicants should have a minimum IELTS 5 or equivalent.
Please note that we are not able to consider applications from anyone under the age of 18 years at the start of the programme.
Book your place on our free airport pick-up service from Manchester airport.
How to apply
Individual students attending the summer school can make full payment online. Details will be provided once you have applied for the course.
Deadline for applications is 14 June 2017
How do I pay my fees?
All amounts are payable in pounds sterling. You can pay by bank transfer or by credit card. Your payment must be paid in full by 20 June 2017.
Once we have received your fees, you will receive a visa letter to support your application for a short-term study visa for the summer school.
Is there a refund policy?
- If you withdraw your application before 20 June your fees will be refunded in full
- If you withdraw after 20 June because your visa has been refused, you will be refunded in full
- If you withdraw after 20 June 2017 and before arriving at Sheffield Hallam University for reasons other than a visa refusal), we will refund your fees less £600 administration charge
- You will not receive a refund if you withdraw after arriving in the UK for the summer school
|14 June 2017||Deadline for applications|
|20 June 2017||Deadline for payment|
|21 June 2017||You will receive your visa invitation letter|
|22 June 2017||Apply for your visa|
|29-30 July||Arrive at Sheffield Hallam University for the International Summer School|
Find out more
- British Life and Culture Summer School flyer English
- British Life and Culture Summer School flyer Mandarin
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (PDF 83 KB)