Self-isolation support

Last reviewed: 5pm, 1 December 2020

We are working closely with Sheffield City Council’s public health team and Public Health England on our plans for managing Covid-19 infections.

If you need to self-isolate, we will do everything we can to support you. If you’re not sure whether you should be self-isolating, read our page on when and how to isolate

Food deliveriesWellbeing • HealthcareStudy • FinanceOut-of-hours support

Food deliveries

If you are living in private rented housing or halls of residence, we can arrange for an essentials box to be delivered to your door. This will provide you with some supplies while you make your own arrangements for getting the deliveries you need. 

You will receive further information about this when you report a case through our Covid-19 reporting form.

If you have family or friends nearby, they are allowed to deliver food to you. If you are in halls, contact the reception to arrange this.

Sheffield City Council has a free helpline for Covid-19 support on 0114 273 4567, available 7 days a week. Where appropriate, they may be able to help you access food, medication and laundry.

Back to top

Wellbeing support

Welfare checks

If you are self-isolating and inform us through the Covid-19 reporting form, we will contact you within 48 hours to discuss any support you might need.

If you are self-isolating alone and would like someone to check on you, contact Hallam Help.

Mental health support

Our student wellbeing service offers one-to-one counselling and group sessions by phone and video call. It also creates and shares a range of self-help resources, including a list of resources for students affected by Covid-19.

You also have access to 24-hour mental health support through Togetherall, a community resource that offers anonymous discussion, articles and support programmes. Anyone with a Hallam email address can register.

Clinically vulnerable students

If you’ve told us you are clinically vulnerable, we will contact you to outline the support available and how to access it. 

If you believe you are clinically vulnerable but have not told us, please:

The NHS website has a guide to who is clinically vulnerable.

Back to top


Prescription medicines

If you require prescription medicines, ask your GP if you can receive a repeat prescription delivery. Some large pharmacies also offer online services. You can also arrange for someone to bring prescription medicines to you.

GP and health centre services

If you become ill and it is not Covid related, remember you can use our Student Health at SHU services or contact your registered local GP. They will provide online and telephone services during your self-isolation period.

Urgent and emergency help

If you're worried about a medical situation, including worsening Covid-19 symptoms, use the NHS 111 Online service.

For emergency situations, call 999 and request an ambulance. NHS guidance is to use an ambulance instead of going straight to hospital, wherever possible.

Back to top

Study support

During self-isolation you will need to access your course fully online. We can help you with this if necessary. 

If you have filled in the Covid-19 reporting form, you can request help with online learning when we contact you. Alternatively, you can contact your academic adviser through Hallam Help.

Please check Blackboard and MyTimetable for details of the online learning instructions for your course. 

IT and software support

Read the Hallam Digital Skills pages to find out about the software available to you, including video call platforms. You can access any IT support you need through the IT Help service.

Assessments and deadlines

If you require support with exams, assignments and deadlines, you should contact your academic adviser through Hallam Help.


If you need to request an extension of up to five working days, you do not need a doctor’s note.

For longer extensions, you will need to get a doctor’s note from your GP. A positive Covid-19 test would be acceptable as evidence.

Using the library

The library provides a range of support and learning opportunities, including:

We recommend reading the library's guide to making the most of library services off-campus.

If you have books on loan and will not be able to return them due to self-isolation, contact the library team. You will not need to pay fines.

Back to top

Financial support

If self-isolation affects your finances, contact the student finance team through Hallam Help.

They can support you in a variety of ways, including:

  • access to emergency funds
  • emergency food vouchers
  • help with managing your money.

Back to top

Out-of-hours support

Our halls of residence have teams on hand 24 hours a day to provide support and guidance.

You can also contact the campus security team for 24-hour emergency cover, including personal security and first aid situations.

For confidential listening and advice, contact: 

  • Nightline, a student-run service that supports students at both Sheffield universities, or
  • Student Space, a nationwide service run by the student mental health charity Student Minds.

There is a free helpline for Covid-19 support from Sheffield City Council on 0114 273 4567. It is available 7 days a week, and where appropriate, they may be able to help you access food, medication and laundry.

Back to top

Share this page