Sheffield Business School PhD Scholarships
Study at the Sheffield Business School (SBS)
A PhD in SBS offers you a brilliant opportunity to develop your research skills and knowledge to create a real impact either in academia, public sector, private sector or as an entrepreneur.
At Sheffield Business School we have a vibrant international community of research students, academics and support staff, and a 30-year history of delivering high-quality postgraduate research that places a strong emphasis on close supervision and support.
Join us in our search for new thinking because:
- We have extensive expertise in creating new knowledge and applying business research to solve real world problems
- You will be supervised by a vibrant community of academics who are driven by the discovery of new knowledge
- Your research will be conducted alongside a diverse community of doctoral researchers from the globe who bring a wealth of international experience
- Our reputation for excellence is recognised through our high-quality research training and the support we offer our doctoral students
- Sheffield Business School is committed to providing you with an outstanding student experience in a collegiate environment
Sheffield Business School is one of the largest such institutions in the UK, with over 200 academic staff. As a result, the school’s research covers a wide spectrum of disciplines, ranging from finance and accounting, management, strategy, marketing, economics, international business and human resource management, hospitality, tourism, events management, food and nutrition.
Research undertaken at Sheffield Business School is largely shaped by the University's Creating Knowledge strategy, which sets out the following ambitions:
- We will be recognised internationally for research which has real social, economic and cultural impact
- We will identify and seize opportunities to lead in new and emerging areas
- We will apply research to enrich students' learning and work with others to ensure translation into practice
In Sheffield Business School our research supports two overarching themes which are The Experience Economy and Social and Cooperative Economy. We welcome applications from prospective PhD students to undertake research that contributes to this agenda.
The Experience Economy covers a broad range of research interests linked to both the experience economy and the related area of customer experience management, focusing on the design, delivery and development of consumer experiences in a range of leisure, recreation, events, hospitality and tourism contexts. Research within this theme spans the breadth of the consumer experience process in various product markets. It includes a variety of service management issues and is also concerned with the employee workplace experience and the associated functional management issues.
Social and Cooperative Economy - Sheffield Business School is a leading centre of research into alternative forms of business organisation, notably social enterprise, through which businesses combine commercial objectives with the achievement of social aims such as environmental improvement or support for vulnerable groups in society. In particular SBS and our partners have pioneered the development of the Fair Shares model, which focuses on the democratic involvement of all stakeholders and the distribution of rewards on a fair and equitable basis.
Funding amount: A generous and comprehensive package is offered. This funding is for 3 year full-time PhD study. Our SBS PhD Scholarship covers tuition which is equal to the Home/EU fee. This includes a stipend at Research Council UK levels (this is currently £14,777 for 2018/19) per annum plus Home/EU tuition fees (£4,260 in 2018/19). For international students, a top up tuition fee of approximately £8,200 per year is required.
Areas of study
Currently, we do not have any PhD opportunities, however please keep checking this page for future opportunities.