Sheffield Business School PhD Scholarships
Study at the Sheffield Business School (SBS)
A PhD in SBS offers you a brilliant opportunity to develop your research skills and knowledge to create a real impact either in academia, public sector, private sector or as an entrepreneur.
At Sheffield Business School we have a vibrant international community of research students, academics and support staff, and a 30-year history of delivering high-quality postgraduate research that places a strong emphasis on close supervision and support.
Join us in our search for new thinking because:
- We have extensive expertise in creating new knowledge and applying business research to solve real world problems
- You will be supervised by a vibrant community of academics who are driven by the discovery of new knowledge
- Your research will be conducted alongside a diverse community of doctoral researchers from the globe who bring a wealth of international experience
- Our reputation for excellence is recognised through our high-quality research training and the support we offer our doctoral students
- Sheffield Business School is committed to providing you with an outstanding student experience in a collegiate environment
Sheffield Business School is one of the largest such institutions in the UK, with over 200 academic staff. As a result, the school’s research covers a wide spectrum of disciplines, ranging from finance and accounting, management, strategy, marketing, economics, international business and human resource management, hospitality, tourism, events management, food and nutrition.
Research undertaken at Sheffield Business School is largely shaped by the University's Creating Knowledge strategy, which sets out the following ambitions:
- We will be recognised internationally for research which has real social, economic and cultural impact
- We will identify and seize opportunities to lead in new and emerging areas
- We will apply research to enrich students' learning and work with others to ensure translation into practice
In Sheffield Business School our research supports two overarching themes which are The Experience Economy and Social and Cooperative Economy. We welcome applications from prospective PhD students to undertake research that contributes to this agenda.
The Experience Economy covers a broad range of research interests linked to both the experience economy and the related area of customer experience management, focusing on the design, delivery and development of consumer experiences in a range of leisure, recreation, events, hospitality and tourism contexts. Research within this theme spans the breadth of the consumer experience process in various product markets. It includes a variety of service management issues and is also concerned with the employee workplace experience and the associated functional management issues.
Social and Cooperative Economy - Sheffield Business School is a leading centre of research into alternative forms of business organisation, notably social enterprise, through which businesses combine commercial objectives with the achievement of social aims such as environmental improvement or support for vulnerable groups in society. In particular SBS and our partners have pioneered the development of the Fair Shares model, which focuses on the democratic involvement of all stakeholders and the distribution of rewards on a fair and equitable basis.
How to apply
Anyone can apply for a PhD scholarship. However you would need to meet the standard Programme application entry requirements (see below). All applicants wishing to be considered for a PhD scholarship need to submit by the closing date (12 noon on Monday 2nd March 2020) the following documents (see below) by email to email@example.com.
Please indicate clearly in the body of your email that you would like to be considered for a SBS PhD scholarship.
We require the following documents for your application:
- a fully completed Sheffield Hallam University application form.
- a detailed research proposal (4-6 sides of A4 in length). All submitted research proposals will be uploaded to Turnitin to assess their originality.
- a transcript of marks from your highest qualification (we require a dissertation mark of 60 or higher).
- a copy of your award certificate from your highest qualification.
- two references, both of which must be recent letters on headed notepaper or the reference form found within the University application form (one of which should ideally be from an academic source). Referees can submit their references electronically by scanning and emailing the original documents direct to us from their own email address, but these must be on headed notepaper or the official form.
- English Language proficiency evidence - Where English is not your first language, you must show evidence of English language ability to the following minimum level of proficiency. You must provide evidence of either a current IELTS score of 7.0 overall (with all component marks of 6.5 or higher and preferably Academic IELTS); or a current TOEFL test with an overall score of 100 internet based (with a minimum component score of 23 in listening and reading, 26 in writing and 22 in speaking) or SHU TESOL English Language qualification – final overall grade of A (with all components graded at B or higher) or a recognised equivalent testing system. Please note that your test score must be current, i.e. within the last two years.
A generous and comprehensive package is offered. This funding is for 3 year full-time PhD study. Our SBS PhD Scholarship covers tuition which is equal to the Home/EU fee. This includes a stipend at Research Council UK levels (this is currently £15,009 for 2019/20) per annum plus Home/EU tuition fees (£4,330 in 2019/20). For international students, a top up tuition fee of approximately £8,200 per year is required.
Successful applicants will be required to attend an interview where you will be asked to discuss your research proposal. Interview panel members will include the PhD Programme Leader, a prospective Director of Studies and a representative from the SBS Creating Knowledge Board. All applicants wishing to be considered for a PhD scholarship need to submit all their documents by e-mail on 12 noon on Monday 2nd March 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interview dates are provisionally scheduled for week commencing 20th April 2020.
Areas of study
We are seeking PhD scholarship applications for 3 year funded full-time study with proposed theoretical and managerial implications in one of our department
If you have any queries about full-time PhD Scholarships in SBS please contact:
Dr. Alisha Ali
PhD Programme Leader
Sheffield Business School
Sheffield Hallam University
Tel: 0114 225 4593