Research in the Department of Management
The Department of Management translates research activity into high quality and accessible outputs that inform policy and practice and which enrich our education programmes.
This means that we:
- enhance student experience by producing case studies that inform our teaching practice
- write textbooks that provide academic frameworks that students and practitioners can use
- work with international communities by speaking at conferences, publishing in international journals and engaging with international research networks
- undertake high impact client driven research projects in the UK & internationally for corporate clients, NGOs, government bodies and third sector organisations.
To achieve these things, we collaborate with other departments, colleges and institutions so as to have impact across sectorial, institutional, national and cultural boundaries.
In order to deliver on this agenda, we welcome PhD scholarship applications from the following areas:
PhD Scholarship in International Business and Economics including:
- Entrepreneurship and International Entrepreneurship
- Diversity of international workplaces
- Entrepreneurship and Intrapreneurship
- Foreign Direct Investment
- Innovation and Inter-organisational collaboration
- Emerging markets
PhD Scholarship in People, Work and Organisation including:
- Organising and managing work for social, cooperative and voluntary action
- Human Resource Management Performance
- Intercultural Communication and Cultural Intelligence
- Employer Relations or Employment Law
- Low pay and the Living Wage
- International HRM in Multinational Enterprises
PhD Scholarship in Marketing and Business Strategy including:
- Marketing for positive social change
- The dark side of marketing and consumer behaviour in the digital world
- Psychological aspects of consumer judgments and decision-making
- Influence, persuasion and communication
How to apply
Anyone can apply for a PhD scholarship. However you would need to meet the standard Programme application entry requirements (see below). All applicants wishing to be considered for a PhD scholarship need to submit by the closing date (12 noon on Monday 2nd March 2020) the following documents (see below) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate clearly in the body of your email that you would like to be considered for a SBS PhD scholarship.
We require the following documents for your application:
- a fully completed Sheffield Hallam University application form.
- a detailed research proposal (4-6 sides of A4 in length). All submitted research proposals will be uploaded to Turnitin to assess their originality.
- a transcript of marks from your highest qualification (we require a dissertation mark of 60 or higher).
- a copy of your award certificate from your highest qualification.
- two references, both of which must be recent letters on headed notepaper or the reference form found within the University application form (one of which should ideally be from an academic source). Referees can submit their references electronically by scanning and emailing the original documents direct to us from their own email address, but these must be on headed notepaper or the official form.
- English Language proficiency evidence - Where English is not your first language, you must show evidence of English language ability to the following minimum level of proficiency. You must provide evidence of either a current IELTS score of 7.0 overall (with all component marks of 6.5 or higher and preferably Academic IELTS); or a current TOEFL test with an overall score of 100 internet based (with a minimum component score of 23 in listening and reading, 26 in writing and 22 in speaking) or SHU TESOL English Language qualification – final overall grade of A (with all components graded at B or higher) or a recognised equivalent testing system. Please note that your test score must be current, i.e. within the last two years.
A generous and comprehensive package is offered. This funding is for 3 year full-time PhD study. Our SBS PhD Scholarship covers tuition which is equal to the Home/EU fee. This includes a stipend at Research Council UK levels (this is currently £15,009 for 2019/20) per annum plus Home/EU tuition fees (£4,330 in 2019/20). For international students, a top up tuition fee of approximately £8,200 per year is required.
Successful applicants will be required to attend an interview where you will be asked to discuss your research proposal. Interview panel members will include the PhD Programme Leader, a prospective Director of Studies and a representative from the SBS Creating Knowledge Board. All applicants wishing to be considered for a PhD scholarship need to submit all their documents by e-mail on 12 noon on Monday 2nd March 2020 to email@example.com. Interview dates are provisionally scheduled for week commencing 20th April 2020.
Research Centre information
If you have any queries about full-time PhD Scholarships in SBS please contact:
Dr. Alisha Ali
PhD Programme Leader
Sheffield Business School
Sheffield Hallam University
Tel: 0114 225 4593