How to apply
We are keen to receive applications from anyone who believes that they have the ability to complete a PhD (or MPhil) that fits within the research interests of the Cultural, Communication and Computing Research Institute.
Submitting an application
We encourage all prospective students to browse through the staff section of the site in order to identify a potential academic supervisor.
To consider any application, we need
- A fully-completed application form with precise details of your previous qualifications and place of study
- 2 references
- Details of your source of funding, and copies of any financial support letters
- Copies of qualification certificates and/or results transcripts
- A detailed Research Proposal (attached as a separate word or pdf document)
- *Proof of English Language ability (*where English is not your first language)
- *Copies of Passport & any relevant Visas (*for Overseas applicants)
All applicants should hold a strong undergraduate degree (2.1 or above) and/or a relevant masters qualification (or expectation of the same).
English Language Requirements
In our subject areas (Art & Design, Media & Communications, and Computing), where English is not your first language, you must also show evidence of English language ability to the following minimum level of proficiency: an overall IELTS score of 7.0 or above, with at least 6.5 in each component or an accepted equivalent. Please note that your test score must be current, i.e. within the last two years.
For general enquiries
Phone 0114 225 6743
Should you wish to discuss your research ideas prior to making an application, please contact a member of the Doctoral Admissions team listed below
- Dr Kathy Doherty, Head of Research Degrees
- Dr Becky Shaw, Postgraduate Tutor in Art and Design
- Dr Kerry McSeveny, Postgraduate Tutor in Media and Communications
- Tracey Howson, Postgraduate Research Administrative Officer, and Amy Lander, Administrator
Course Fees for 2018/19
- Home/EU students, full-time = £4,260
- Home/EU students, part-time = £2,130
- International students, full-time = £12,400
Course Fees for 2019/20
- Home/EU students, full-time = Our tuition fee for UK/EU postgraduate research students will be aligned to the UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) fees which have not yet been confirmed for 2019/20
- Home/EU students, part-time = Our tuition fee for UK/EU postgraduate research students will be aligned to the UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) fees which have not yet been confirmed for 2019/20
- International students, full-time = £12,500 per year
For information about Sheffield Hallam University scholarship opportunities, please visit the scholarship webpages here
Duration of Course
Maximum timescales are
- MPhil only, Full-time - up to 24 months
- MPhil only, Part-time - up to 36 months
- PhD subject to confirmation, Full-time - up to 48 months
- PhD subject to confirmation, Part-time - up to 84 months
- Throughout September
- Throughout January
- Throughout May
Deadlines to submit applications
- 1st June (for September enrolment)
- 1st October (for January enrolment)
- 1st February (for May enrolment)
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I contact members of staff directly to discuss my future project?
Yes, contact details for our Postgraduate Tutors can be found above. Alternatively all our staff including their specialisms can be found on our staff pages. Our staff will be more than happy to discuss any ideas you have at this stage.
Can I get guidance from the University regarding Visa requirements and the Visa application process?
Yes, the University’s International Experience Team are highly trained in this area and will be happy to offer guidance and help. Their contact details can be found here.
Can I get help with Accommodation whilst I'm studying at Sheffield Hallam University?
Yes, our Accommodation Services staff will be happy to help. Their contact information can be found here.
I have studied a previous degree course with Sheffield Hallam, am I eligible for a progression discount?
Yes, if you have previously completed an undergraduate or master's degree course with us you may be eligible for a 10% discount on your fees. Find out more information here.