Communication and Computing Research Centre
CENTRIC is a multi disciplinary and end-user centric research body, located within Cultural, Communication and Computing Research Institute (C3RI) at Sheffield Hallam University.
The strategic aim of CENTRIC is to facilitate the triangulation between the four key stakeholders in the security domain
- Law Enforcement Agencies (LEAs)
The mission of CENTRIC is to provide a platform for researchers, practitioners policy makers and the public to focus on applied research in the Security domain. The Centre's activities will be firmly underpinned by due consideration for citizen perspectives, the interests and engagement of all end users, as well as key societal issues and relevant ethical issues.
CENTRIC research agenda
The initial foci for CENTRIC are
- applied research in the security and intelligence domains with specific focus on terrorism and organised crime
- use of communication technologies (from surveillance systems to the use of social media) in the promotion of public order, and the avoidance and resolution of crisis situations
- professional skill development for LEAs and other relevant stakeholders
CENTRIC has close links with local, national and international LEAs and security specialist group. CENTRIC is currently collaborating with a number of law enforcement agencies. CENTRIC is also collaborating with leading technology providers.
The staff and partners of CENTRIC have a strong applied orientation and a proven track record in the following topics
- communication and knowledge modeling for crisis management Cyber terrorism
- understanding the origins and expression of contemporary dissent
- knowledge and intelligence management to combat "terrorism" and organised crime
- policing, public order and facilitating the right to protest
- semantic information mining and formal concept analysis
- social media analysis
- security, society and the citizen
- post-crisis management of stress and trauma
- analysis of latent finger marks by MALDI mass spectrometry imaging
- 3D face recognition
Please visit the CENTRIC website to learn more.
Related project: GMPR - Geometric Modelling and Pattern Recognition Research Group.
Professor Babak Akhgar - Director of CENTRIC
Professor Dave Waddington - Head of the Communication and Computing Research Centre (CCRC)
Ben Brewster - Researcher
Helen Gibson - Researcher
Jonathan Saunders - Researcher
Roxanne Leitao - Researcher
Tony Day - Researcher
Michael Gunning - Researcher
Constantinos Orphanides - Technical Researcher
Simon Andrews - Reader in Computer Science
David Day - Senior Lecturer, GMPR Research Group
CUBIST - Your Business Intelligence - Constantly growing amounts of data and an emerging trend of incorporating...
Odyssey - The threat from organised crime and terrorism can undermine the democratic...