Art and Design Research Centre
This EPSRC funded project explored the potential of film and animation in promoting communication between younger and older people growing up and growing old in care
ARTHOUSE focused on establishing a dialogue between younger people and older people growing up and growing old in care. Within the project art, film-making and design technologies formed vehicles through which participants were able to explore and communicate important messages about they faced in order to develop shared understanding.
The research fell into two distinct phases. In the first phase researchers within the Art and Design Research Centre facilitated five half day workshops and through the medium of digital storytelling provided older and younger people with the opportunity to come together to share their stories of what it meant to live within that community.
The second phase focused exclusively on younger people living in foster homes using the medium of animation, film and digital technologies.
Key achievements of the project
- Working with socially isolated older people and young people within Sheffield to foster relationships and build understanding through the medium of film and digital technologies
- Engaging with young people living in foster care across Sheffield and surrounding districts
- Working with an interdisciplinary team that included social work, occupational therapy, engineering, media, visual communications
- The involvement of external stakeholders including Sheffield City Council, the Salvation Army and Sheffield Archive Service
- New insights into inter-disciplinary working
Professor Ian Gwilt - Professor of Design: Visual Communication
Dr Claire Craig - Member of Lab4Living, Senior Lecturer Occupational Therapy
Journey through Dementia - Dementia is one of large number of long term conditions. The UK Department...
Lab 4 Living - Lab4Living is a collaborative research initiative between the Art and Design...
Lifestyle Matters - Healthy, active ageing is strongly associated with good mental well-being...
Make, Do and Mend - The 'Make, Do and Mend' project explores how we might reinvigorate...
Mind Sets - Mind Sets is an innovative use of design which utilises the medium of six...
Moving Mountains - Becky Shaw currently holds an AIR Cocheme Fellowship at Central St Martins....
Photography in care homes - This study used the medium of photography to explore the experiences of...
Who Cares? - Who Cares is a research project funded through the ADRC which sought to...