Skip to content

Frequently asked questions

Updated 6 January 2021

This page outlines the more common accommodation questions and is updated with relevant information over time. If you don't find the information you need here, you can contact us.

Glossary of useful terms

If you're unfamiliar with some of our terminology, please see our glossary (PDF, 25.1KB) (PDF, 25.1KB) which explains the accommodation terms in more detail.

On this page 

Selecting accommodationApplying Additional requirementsInternational students • Moving in • Tenancy information • Coronavirus 

Selecting accommodation 

Accommodation types

We have two types of accommodation for you to choose from.

University halls are great if you want to make friends and live in the heart of student life. You’re never more than a half hour walk away from campus, you can choose from over 12 halls in all sizes and prices and will always know what you’re spending – rent includes bills, insurance and wifi, which is helpful for budgeting! This option is most popular with first year students, although you can return to our halls of residence in your second, third or fourth years. In those cases, you can apply to live in the hall where you are currently residing in or move elsewhere. We also have flats suitable for postgraduate and mature students in all halls.

Private sector housing is great if you want to find your own place to stay in Sheffield, or if you’re looking for something away from the halls environment. Always use our snug scheme to make sure you find a safe place that’s of a good standard.

Accommodation guarantee

We guarantee first year undergraduate students accommodation in one of our halls of residence, or help in finding suitable private sector accommodation if that's what you prefer. Occasionally high demand means we can’t offer your first preference. If that’s the case we’ll offer you a suitable alternative. For further information and deadline dates read our allocation criteria.

Information from UCAS about accommodation

Always apply for accommodation through this website to make sure you’re sharing with other Sheffield Hallam University students in popular student areas near our campuses. All our halls are accredited, undergo annual reviews, and you’ll have access to university support services.

Private sector accommodation

Make sure you’ve accepted an unconditional offer before you start looking for accommodation in the private sector. Don’t sign a contract without viewing the property and make sure you understand the terms of the agreement. We can help you find good quality, safe private sector accommodation that meets snug standards. Apply for private sector accommodation via our website for more information.

Accommodation locations

You can walk at a steady pace from City to Collegiate Campus in around 20 to 25 minutes. Most of our allocated halls are suitable and accessible for students studying at both campuses. Sheffield has a reliable bus and tram service to help you travel around the city.

Living in halls

Student residences have a more communal way of living. It’s great fun, but you need a degree of tolerance and adjustment to live in a community of individuals with varying cultural outlooks, social lives and backgrounds.

Living in halls after first year

You can apply to live back in our allocated residences throughout your time as a full-time student at Sheffield Hallam. Many of our students return to live in halls in their second, third and fourth years. Applications for the next academic year will open in November.

Back to top


When to apply

As soon as you’ve received a conditional or unconditional course offer, even if we’re your insurance choice. Don’t wait until after you have received your exam results.

Allocating applications

You won’t receive anything from us until we have confirmation of your results. Please ensure that you submit your application for accommodation as soon as possible because the date you apply is taken into consideration when allocating you a room.

Changes to my offer status

We’re automatically informed when you change your offer status, for example from 'insurance' to 'first choice'. 

Viewing accommodation 

All the information you need for viewing your allocated residence will be included in your online room offer.

If you'd like to find out more about our halls of residence, take part in one of our virtual open days – where you'll be able to ask our team about anything to with living with Sheffield Hallam . If you wish to view a property, please contact us at and we can arrange a time for you to visit, based on current government guidance and social distancing guidelines. 

Back to top

Additional requirements

Care leavers

We’re committed to supporting our students who have been in care at any time. You may require accommodation throughout the whole calendar year. We can assist you in finding a suitable place to live, so please contact us to discuss your specific needs.

Specific accommodation needs

We have some specifically adapted accommodation. If you have specific accommodation needs or requirements you should state these when you apply online for accommodation. If you have a physical disability, we may ask you to complete a short questionnaire to assist us in finding you a suitable room. If you require single sex accommodation, make your preferences clear when you apply.

First semester study students

We have a limited supply of non-standard course accommodation if you’re only undertaking first semester study. When you apply online for accommodation, choose ‘non-standard course student’ as your student type. We can also give you help and advice in seeking private sector accommodation.

Back to top

International Students 

Airport pick up service

The international student support team runs an airport pick-up service from Manchester Airport as part of their meet-and-greet service during September and January of each academic year. Airport pick-up dates and schedules will be updated and posted on the international student support website.

Not applied for University accommodation

We strongly encourage you to apply online for accommodation in advance of your arrival. Students from some countries may need to self-isolate for 10 days on arrival in the UK. Please check the UK Government information before you travel. Please contact if you require further assistance with quarantine/arrival.

Support for International Students
If you have booked accommodation through the University with one of the University’s partner providers, you will be able to self-isolate in this accommodation. You can arrive up to two weeks before your contract start date free-of-charge and you will also receive food supplies during the quarantine at no additional cost. 

To benefit from the support on offer, you must complete the Virtual Meet & Greet Desk Form at least 7 days before your planned arrival date. You will need to provide the exact address you will be staying in on arrival, and full contact details. We will use the contact information provided in this form to keep in touch with you while you are in quarantine. You should not leave your accommodation during the quarantine unless you need to seek medical help.

Our International Experience Team provide an extensive support for international students, during the arrival and orientation period, and throughout your studies with us. You can find full details of this comprehensive support offer on our website.

Back to top

Moving in 

Bedroom furnishing

All University halls are furnished with standard bedroom furniture unless otherwise stated. This includes a bed, wardrobe, a desk or workstation and a chair. Some bedrooms have a wash basin. Not all rooms have an en suite – these facilities do cost extra.

Bedding, utensils and crockery

This is not supplied but you can buy very reasonably priced bedding, kitchen utensils and crockery in Sheffield if you don't want to bring these with you. You can also purchase kitchen and bedding items by pre-ordering from Uni Kit Out. Use the discount code SHU10 to receive 10% off.

Move in dates

Once you have accepted your room offer you will be invited to book an arrival time-slot to collect your keys and move in. The regular move in weekend will be extended to aid with social distancing,
International students who have booked through the university and are required to self-isolate can do so free of charge. Please visit our accommodation keeping safe on campus pages or email for more information

Back to top

Tenancy information 

Moving out before the end of the academic year

You’re committed to pay for your accommodation for the whole of the academic year, and all contracts are legally binding. However, in exceptional circumstances you may be able to terminate your contract by finding a suitable full-time student to take your place. Full details will be provided in your contract.

Smoking policy

All halls enforce a strict non-smoking policy, in line with the University's non-smoking policy.

Back to top


We will follow government guidance to give you a safe and comfortable home. This includes regular and thorough cleaning of communal areas, cleaning and inspecting your room before you arrive, hand sanitiser stations, clear signage and one-way systems where appropriate. Communal spaces will be arranged where possible to ensure social distancing can be managed. Safe systems will be in place including protective screens, PPE for staff, and alterations to parcel delivery, maintenance requests and laundry facilities, as well as dedicated support and services to help you self-isolate if you become unwell. More information regarding Covid safe measures can be found on our keeping safe on campus pages.

Allocations during coronavirus 

We will be following our usual allocation criteria. Allocations will be based on date of application, course offer status, demand, availability, preferences and requirements. Each cluster flat will be considered a household. If accommodation is in a different format to cluster flats, the household will be determined by the areas and facilities shared by students.

Please identify any particular requirements, including if you have previously been shielding on the online application form.

Paying your next rent instalment 

Decisions regarding rent and legally binding tenancy agreements are at the landlord’s/accommodation provider’s discretion and will be communicated to tenants where applicable. Where specific communications have not been received, students should continue to abide by the terms of their tenancy agreement to the best of their ability. If you have any queries about your tenancy agreement or rent instalment, Accommodation Services advise you to contact your landlord/site management team for further information.

The University recognises that this will be a stressful time for all our students and is trying to get more information about what may or may not be possible as the situation develops. We are in constant dialogue with our partner accommodation providers and will continue to advocate to give clarity to students. Any updates or changes in policy will be communicated to students at the earliest possible opportunity.

Currently, student maintenance loans are continuing as normal, but if you are facing financial difficulties you can contact Hallam Help online, by email at, or telephone on 0114 225 2222 for advice and assistance.

Back to top

Share this page

Cancel event

Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?