Doctoral student loans
The UK Government has introduced a new loans scheme for students starting their doctoral degrees from academic year 2018/19. Here is a very brief overview on individual and course eligibility and exclusions. See government website for full details.
- You can borrow up to £25,000 for your whole course.
- The loan is paid directly to you. You can use it for your course fees and living costs.
- You get the first payment after your course start date, once your university or college confirms that you’ve registered.
- Whether you qualify will depend on: your course; your age; your nationality or residency status; other funding you receive.
- The earliest you start repaying is when your annual income is over £21,000 and you'll pay back 6% of your income over the minimum amount.
- Your course must be a full, standalone doctoral course (not a top-up course) and have started on or after 1 August 2018.
- Your course must last between 3 to 8 academic years.
How to apply
If you'd like to discuss any aspect of this, please contact Student Support Services on 0114 225 3813 or email us.