Postgraduate student loans
Take your studies further with a £10,609 postgraduate student loan
- Receiving funding to study at a postgraduate level just got easier, with the introduction of a new postgraduate loan system in the UK.
- With these loans you can receive up to £10,609 for your whole course if your course starts in 2018/9 or £10,280 if your course started in 2017/8.
- All loan repayments will be based on your income, not what you borrowed and no repayments will be taken until your income is over £21,000 a year.
- The majority of masters courses are eligible though there are some restrictions. Please view our FAQs for more detail.
- The courses may be taught or research based, including professional masters courses such as MBAs.
- Courses can be delivered anywhere in the UK or by distance learning in England.
- If your course is over 1 year but less than 2 years in duration (e.g. 18 months) then it will be classed as a 2 year course, therefore you must select the 2 year option when completing the application form.
How to apply
- You can apply for a postgraduate loan online. You only have to apply once, even if your course is longer than one year.
- Applying online is simple; all you need is your chosen university and course information, bank account details, national insurance and passport number.
- Don’t forget that once you have submitted the application you need to read and sign the declaration form, this will be shown automatically at the end of the process.
- If successful you will then receive a confirmation letter and the full details of your loan payment schedule via post.
A postgraduate qualification can help you achieve your career ambitions and improve your salary prospects. In fact the average salary for Sheffield Hallam UK postgraduates in full-time work is almost £13,000 more than graduates with a first degree.
For more detailed information please see our Postgraduate Loans - Frequently Asked Questions
If you'd like to discuss any aspects of this new scheme, please contact Student Support Services on 0114 225 3813 or email us.
If you have any questions specifically regarding the application form please see the application form guidance notes (PDF).