Postgraduate student loans
Take your studies further with a postgraduate student loan
You could get up to £11,222 for your whole course if your course starts on or after 1 August 2020. All loan repayments will be based on your income, not what you borrowed, and no repayments will be taken until your income is over £21,000 a year.
If you have studied with us before you could also qualify for a scholarship towards your postgraduate course fees. Find out more.
- Most masters courses are eligible, though there are some restrictions (see our FAQs).
- Courses can be taught or research based, including professional masters courses like MBAs.
- Courses can be delivered anywhere in the UK or by distance learning in England.
- If your course is over 1 year but less than 2 years in duration (eg 15 months) it will be classed by the Student Loan Company as a 2 year course, therefore you must select the 2 year option when completing the application form. This will result in your postgraduate loan being paid to you in 6 instalments by the Student Loan Company. 3 payments will be received in the 1st year and 3 in the 2nd. They will confirm your payment dates once the loan has been approved.
- Please note that for courses that are more than 12 months, but less than 24 months of study, the university requires payment for the full course tuition fee, in the first year of study. This will mean the payments to be made to the University will not align to the loan payments, therefore you will need to budget accordingly to enable you to pay the fees as per the University's terms and conditions.
How to apply
- You can apply for a postgraduate loan online. You only have to apply once, even if your course is longer than one year.
- Applying online is simple – all you need is your chosen university and course information, bank account details, national insurance and passport number.
- Don’t forget that once you have submitted the application you need to read and sign the declaration form, this will be shown automatically at the end of the process.
- If successful you will then receive a confirmation letter and the full details of your loan payment schedule via post.
If you'd like to discuss any aspects of this scheme, please contact Hallam Help on 0114 225 2222 or email us.
If you have any questions specifically regarding the application form please see the application form guidance notes (pdf).