Engineering, mechanical and materials engineering
Advanced Manufacturing Engineering Higher Apprenticeship
The apprenticeship includes a combination of formal education with work-based learning. The programme utilises a variety of Foundation Degrees to address the needs of various industries. In each case, after completing the existing Higher Apprenticeship to Level 5, you can, with appropriate other funding, progress onto an associated BEng Degree.
Awards: FdEng Integrated Engineering
This programme has been developed to provide a flexible programme of study both in terms of the routes available and the modes of delivery. The programme offers commonality in the first year of study, before allowing students to specialise in their chosen discipline - either electrical, mechanical or manufacturing.
FdEng Materials Engineering
The programme is intended to develop metallurgists and materials engineers within the workplace for a variety of roles and business sectors.
Duration: The course is delivered over 2–4 years, depending on your chosen route and whether the optional top-up to Bachelor's degree level is included.
Delivery method: This programme is delivered by a combination of day release to the University and in practical employer training.
Assessment for the degree
Assessment will ensure that you are able to integrate academic learning and on-the-job training.
As part of the Higher Apprenticeship you will also benefit from the structured training provided by an NVQ or BTEC delivered by one of our Partner Colleges. If you choose to top-up to a full honours degree you will be required to complete an end-point assessment.
The following routes have been professionally recognised:
FdEng Materials Engineering – The Institution of Materials, Minerals and Mining
You must possess qualifications from one of the following entry levels
- At least one GCE A Level pass in a relevant scientific/technology subject. Two AS Level passes are considered equivalent to one A Level pass
- An Advanced VCE award in an appropriate engineering/manufacturing/technology topic
- An EdExcel/BTEC/SCOTVEC National Certificate or Diploma in a science or technology-based subject
- A pass in the Preparatory Year of the Extended Degree Programme in Engineering, or other suitable science/technology-based foundation or access course containing an appropriate level of mathematics, with an overall average mark of at least 40 per cent
- A qualification that is deemed to be equivalent to any of the above