Advanced Specialist Practice in Radiotherapy and Oncology
This module aims to facilitate critical reflection on your learning and development within (or towards) a specialist / advanced practice role in radiotherapy and/or oncology. It will encourage you to apply a problem based approach to develop informed evidence based knowledge and understanding of a specific area of practice in radiotherapy and/or oncology which could be enhanced and / or further developed.
Who the module is aimed at
The module is aimed at those practitioners working within Radiotherapy and/or Oncology who are working in an advanced practice role, either having only just started in the role, or with more experience.
Benefits of taking the module to the individual, the organisation and the patient
The module is designed to allow you to develop your clinical expertise, tailored to your own specialist area and scope of practice, and will enable you to appraise, develop and evidence your advanced level practice. This design of the module will also equip you with the knowledge and skills required to engage in and evidence lifelong learning and facilitate preparation for achieving accreditation as an advanced practitioner.
What you learn
Using a combination of theoretical and practical knowledge that will engage you in developing the role of a safe autonomous expert practitioner you will learn about the specialist / advanced practitioner role which includes the following content:
- The concept of expert clinical practice
- Problem based learning
- Professional leadership
- Education, training and development
- Practice development, research and evaluation
- Working across professional boundaries
- Personal and professional development planning
- Evidencing continued professional development
- Legal, ethical and professional issues/requirements
- Emotional Intelligence
This module is accredited by the Society and College of Radiographers (SCoR).
To study this distance learning module you will require access to a planning suite and a computer with:
- a reliable internet connection
- Microsoft Windows XP or newer (PCs) / OSX 10.6 or newer (Mac)
- Internet Explorer version 8 or newer (PC), Safari 4.0 or newer (Mac) or the current version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
- Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 7 or newer
Fees and Funding for 2019/20
|Indicative price for stand-alone module||
Home / EU student: £1,335
International students: £1,335 - this is part-time study and therefore cannot provide sponsorship for Tier 4.
This module attracts Learning Beyond Registration/Specialist Skills and Post Registration Development (LBR/SSPRD) funding by the following schemes:
|How to apply||
To apply for a self-funded place, please complete and return the application form below:
To apply for a Learning Beyond Registration/Specialist Skills and Post Registration Development (LBR/SSPRD) funded place, please complete and return the relevant application form below:
- You must hold a degree (or equivalent professional qualification) which is recognised in the UK in a related health care subject, for example BSc (Hons) Radiotherapy and Oncology or Therapeutic Radiography or a Diploma of the College of Radiographers (T).
- Equivalent, international academic and/or professional qualifications will be considered.
- Reliable internet connection.
- If English is not your first language you must have an IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each skill area.
The above must be evidenced in your application form
This module is delivered via distance learning
This module has planned intakes as follows:
- June 2019 - delivery begins during w/c 3rd June 2019 with online induction activities during w/c 27th May 2019. The module is normally delivered over a 12 week period.
- June 2020 - delivery begins during w/c 8th June 2020 with online induction activities during w/c 1st June 2020. The module is normally delivered over a 12 week period.
This module is delivered via distance learning. Attendance at the university is not required but engagement with online activity is expected.
Module assessment is made up of one or more assessment tasks. The assessment task(s) for this module are:
Successful completion of this module will earn you 30 level 7 credits