Evidence Based Reasoning in Physiotherapy (distance learning)
Firstly, this module will develop your ability to locate, critique and synthesise quantitative research evidence to inform your clinical decision making. Secondly, it will help you to evaluate your clinical decision-making processes and therefore improve your clinical effectiveness for individual patients.
Who the module is aimed at
The module is aimed at all physiotherapists, no matter how experienced.
Benefits of taking the course to the individual, the organisation and the patient
Students on this course will challenge their present thinking to develop advanced clinical assessment and reasoning skills that are both patient-centred and aligned to evidence-based practice. These skills will allow students to be more efficient and effective in their clinical practice with service users.
What you learn
The module explores the use of evidence and a broad range of approaches to assessment and reasoning utilised in practice.
General areas covered
- Searching for and appraising research evidence
- Models of clinical reasoning and how these integrate evidence
- Good practice in patient assessment
- Integrating evidence into decision making
Skills gained for the workplace, technical skills or academic skills
Critical use of evidence in practice, collaborative approaches to assessment, movement analysis skills, reflective practice.
Unique or interesting features
This is an ideal first master’s module, you can tailor your learning to a specific clinical area or learn about practice generally in physiotherapy. If you have a large amount of previous clinical experience, you reflect upon and deepen that learning, however, if you have very little previous clinical experience, you build your practice skills. Either way, you increase your confidence in level 7 study.
To study this distance learning module you will require access to a computer with:
- a reliable internet connection
- Microsoft Windows XP or newer (PCs) / OSX 10.6 or newer (Mac)
- Internet Explorer version 8 or newer (PCs) / Safari 4.0 or newer (Mac) / the current version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
- Java Run Time Environment (JRE) 7 or newer
Fees and Funding for 2020/21
|Indicative price for stand-alone module||
Home / EU student: £1,375
International students: £1,375 - this is part-time study and therefore cannot provide sponsorship for Tier 4.
This module attracts Learning Beyond Registration/Specialist Skills and Post Registration Development (LBR/SSPRD) funding by the following schemes:
|How to apply||
To apply for a self-funded place, please complete and return the application form below:
To apply for a Learning Beyond Registration/Specialist Skills and Post Registration Development (LBR/SSPRD) funded place, please complete and return the relevant application form below:
- Relevant professional qualification
- You will require a reliable internet connection
- If English is not your first language you will be required to submit IELTS scores
The above must be evidenced in your application form
Module assessment is made up of one or more assessment tasks. The assessment task(s) for this module are:
- Viva: typically, a combination of a presentation/demonstration to one or more academics, with discussion, questioning and oral feedback
Successful completion of this module will earn you 30 level 7 credits