Therapeutic Management of Neuro-musculoskeletal Pain (distance learning)
This module is aimed at both recently qualified and more experienced therapists and health care practitioners.
Benefits of taking the module to the individual, the organisation and the patient
You will be challenged to re-evaluate your knowledge of pain mechanisms and how to manage them in non- pharmacological ways. You will then apply new knowledge to a case study from your own practice.
Your organisation will benefit by having staff with expertise in the management of pain, with a compassionate, patient-centred approach to assessment and interventions and the ability to share best practice with colleagues
What you learn
You will gain a broad understanding of the dimensions of pain, a critical awareness of non-pharmacological current pain management and an ability to apply pain management principles effectively in practice.
General areas covered
- neurophysiology and nature of pain
- pain theories and models of pain
- factors influencing the assessment and interpretation of pain
- the possible strategies in the management of pain ranging from therapeutic interventions, patient self-management, Motor Imagery, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, movement and exercise
Skills gained for the workplace, technical skills or academic skills
On this module you will develop reflective skills and advanced clinical reasoning skills.
Unique or interesting features
This module is driven by the need to develop patient-centred practice in the NHS and the importance of managing both acute and long term conditions.
To study this distance learning module you will require access to a computer with:
- a reliable internet connection
- Microsoft Windows XP or newer (PCs) / OSX 10.6 or newer (Mac)
- Internet Explorer version 8 or newer (PCs) / Safari 4.0 or newer (Mac) / the current version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
- Java Run Time Environment (JRE) 7 or newer
Fees and Funding for 2020/21
|Indicative price for stand-alone module||
Home / EU student: £690
International students: £690 - this is part-time study and therefore cannot provide sponsorship for Tier 4.
This module attracts Learning Beyond Registration/Specialist Skills and Post Registration Development (LBR/SSPRD) funding by the following schemes:
|How to apply||
To apply for a self-funded place, please complete and return the application form below:
To apply for a Learning Beyond Registration/Specialist Skills and Post Registration Development (LBR/SSPRD) funded place, please complete and return the relevant application form below:
- Relevant professional qualification
- A reliable internet connection
- If English is not your first language you will be required to submit IELTS scores
The above must be evidenced in your application form
This module is delivered via distance learning
This module is due to commence in September 2020, with dates as below. Please contact the Module Leader for further information.
Fri 18th September 2020– Folder 1 release
Fri 2nd October 2020 – Folder 2 release
Fri 16th October 2020 – Folder 3 release
Fri 30th October 2020 – Folder 4 release
Assessment – Screencast – Tuesday 5th Jan 2021
Viva week commencing 11th January 2021
Module assessment is made up of one or more assessment tasks. The assessment task(s) for this module are:
- Written Assignment
Successful completion of this module will earn you 15 level 7 credits