Ultrasound Scanning Short Course - 3rd Trimester
This module will provide you with the opportunity to examine the theoretical and practical issues surrounding safety of ultrasound and to achieve competency in 3rd Trimester ultrasound practice and patient centred care.
Who the course is aimed at
The course is aimed at primarily midwives
Benefits of taking the course to the individual, the organisation and the patient
The 3rd trimester focussed course is a stand alone module that meets the demand for 3rd Trimester scan training in response to national guidance on antenatal care.
What you learn
You will learn how to use ultrasound equipment safely in order to optimize image quality in relation to 3rd Trimester ultrasound examinations. You will develop an understanding of the role of ultrasound in the demonstration of normal and abdnormal fetal anatomy and undertake appropriate fetal biometry. You will be able to demonstrate and produce records of accurate measurements that are documented in a written report
General areas covered
- Physics of sound, reflection and transmission of sound, absorption and attenuation
- Power output, safety, physical aspects of ultrasound in human tissue.
- Anatomy and physiology and normal ultrasound appearances in the 3rd trimester .
- 3rd trimester complications, their sonographic appearances and patient management
- Foetal biometry in the third trimester
- Placental localisation
- Amniotic fluid assessment and measurement
- Foetal presentation
- Umbilical Doppler
Skills gained for the workplace, technical skills or academic skills e.g. reflective practice skills
- Critical reflective practice
- Patient centred care
- Automous clinical decision making
Fees and Funding for 2019/20
|Indicative price for stand-alone module||
Home / EU student: £800
International students: £1,125 - this is part-time study and therefore cannot provide sponsorship for Tier 4.
This module attracts Learning Beyond Registration/Specialist Skills and Post Registration Development (LBR/SSPRD) funding by the following schemes:
|How to apply||
To apply for a self-funded place, please complete and return the application form below:
To apply for a Learning Beyond Registration/Specialist Skills and Post Registration Development (LBR/SSPRD) funded place, please complete and return the relevant application form below:
- Relevant professional qualification
- Relevant work experience
- Relevant workplace opportunities and organisational support
- Student must have access to 120 hours of ultrasound scanning with an appropriately qualified clinical supervisor (this is not provided by the university)
International students must have reliable internet access and supply IELTS scores.
(The above must be evidenced in the applicants application form)
Blended Learning this module will involve a limited number of face-to-face study days supported by online distance learning activities
This module is planned to have 3 intakes. The module is delivered over a six-month period, with 3 face-to-face teaching days at the University (as below) supported by online distance learning.
- 24th September 2019
- 22nd October 2019
- 10th December 2019
Module assessment is made up of one or more assessment tasks. The assessment task(s) for this module are:
- Assessed Placement
Successful completion of this module will earn you 15 level 7 credits