Design and Technology SKE Course
What is the Design and Technology SKE Course?
The Design and Technology SKE course enhances subject knowledge for secondary teaching trainees in Design and Technology prior to and during PGCE studies. It focuses particularly on the technical elements of the subject.
Over a total of 200 hours, you'll spend
- 2 Weeks in Sheffield in a summer school, starting on 24th June
- 70 hours on directed and self-directed learning activities
- 25 hours studying during October half term of your PGCE year
- 25 hours on taught sessions on university days during the PGCE
Will I have to pay?
- No. You will receive a bursary of £200 per week for the equivalent of the 5 weeks study prior to the PGCE. You will not be eligible for a SKE bursary during the PGCE, but will be eligible for a full subject bursary.
What is the summer school?
- a two-week intensive summer school with face-to-face subject knowledge training
- sessions run for two weeks from 24th June 2019
- you'll receive a bursary of £200 per week
- fees are arranged and paid for you
What is the aim of the course?
- The course is funded by the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL).
- The aim is to widen the pool of potential Design and Technology teachers. It enhances your subject knowledge so you can meet the standards for QTS.
How do I apply?
- You apply for teacher training via UCAS. Please indicate your interest in this course in the personal statement.
- An SKE may be recommended as a condition for entry to the PGCE. If this is the case, your UCAS application form will be forwarded to the relevant SKE Course Leader.
- There are 15 places are available on the course.
What happens next?
- It will take a few working days to process your application at Sheffield Hallam.
- If you are successful, confirmation and further details about the SKE will be sent to you.
Who should I contact for further information?
Tony Cowell +44 (0)114 225 6209 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
*all dates are provisional
Download printable FAQs for this course here.
You may also be interested in our PGCE Secondary Design and Technology with Qualified Teacher Status course.