French Booster SKE Course
What is the French Booster SKE Course?
The French Booster SKE is an intensive 12 unit summer course for those with existing post-GCSE or lapsed advanced level French. It's a chance to improve your grasp of the language and teach it confidently to Key Stage 4 and 5 students.
Over the course of the summer, you'll spend
- 9 weeks in Sheffield (22 June to 21 August 2020*)
- 10 days in La Rochelle (July 2020*)
- 50 hours on distance learning before and after the face-to-face programme
- 4.5 hours per day on face-to-face sessions
- 3 hours per day in self-access study
Will I have to pay?
No. You will receive a bursary of £200 per unit for the 10 units of study prior to the PGCE. For the study visit in France you contribute towards travel, accommodation and subsistence costs from your bursary. You receive additional weeks' bursary for the study visit
What is the study visit to France?
- A compulsory, structured study visit
- Fees arranged and paid for you
- Accommodation in families
- Use your bursary to pay for travel and accommodation
- Provisional dates: July 2020*
What is the status of the course?
- The course is funded by the Department for Education (DfE).
- The aim is to increase the pool of eligible trainees for MFL teacher training.
- 25 places are available on the course.
How can I apply?
- You apply for teacher training via UCAS in the usual way. It is helpful to indicate interest in this course in the personal statement.
- If a SKE is recommended as a condition for ITT at interview, your application for the SKE course will be forwarded to the French SKE course leader.
- Your application needs to include a copy of your ITT conditional offer letter, a photograph and a copy of your degree qualification.
What happens next?
- It will take a few working days to process your application at Sheffield Hallam.
- If you are successful, confirmation and further details will be sent to you.
*all dates are provisional
Who should I contact for further information?
Dr Jane Groves on +44 (0)114 225 5841 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Download printable FAQs for this course here.
You may also be interested in our PGCE in Modern Foreign Languages.