French SKE Course
What is the French SKE Course?
- An intensive 20 unit course designed to enable graduate linguists to learn French in order to teach it confidently to Key Stage 3 (pupils aged 11-14)
- 11 weeks are spent in Sheffield and 10 days in La Rochelle
- Daily sessions take place between 9am and 1.30pm with three hours of further self-access work
- Provisional dates: 8 June–21 August 2020*
Will I have to pay?
No. You you will receive a bursary of £200 per unit for the 16 units of study prior to the PGCE. For the study visit in France you contribute towards travel, accommodation and subsistence costs from your bursary.
What is the beginners course?
- A two-week intensive course for those with no French at all
- Provisional dates: 26 May – 5June 2020*
- Week two of the foundation course is offered to those with less than GCSE French
- Bursary of £200 per week
What is the study visit in France?
- A 10 day structured study visit
- Fees arranged and paid for you
- Accommodation in families
- Use your bursary to pay for travel and accommodation
- Provisional dates: July 2020*
What is the status of the course?
- The course is funded by the Department for Education (DfE).
- The aim is to increase the pool of eligible trainees for MFL teacher training.
- 25 places are available on the course.
How do I apply?
- You apply for teacher training via UCAS in the usual way. It is helpful to indicate interest in this course in the personal statement.
- If a SKE is recommended as a condition for ITT at interview, your application for the SKE course will be forwarded to the French SKE course leader.
- Your application needs to include a copy of your ITT conditional offer letter, a photograph and a copy of your degree qualification.
What happens next?
- It will take a few working days to process your application at Sheffield Hallam.
- If you are successful, confirmation and further details will be sent to you.
Who should I contact for further information?
Dr Jane Groves: email@example.com / +44 (0)114 225 5841
You may also be interested in our PGCE in Modern Foreign Languages.