Skip to content

  1. Study here
  2. Information for international applicants

Information for international applicants

Last updated on Wednesday 10 February. Due to the rapidly changing situation with regards to the Coronavirus, we will update this page when we have any further information.

On this page

Teaching and learningArrival into the UK, accommodation and quarantineVisasCareers and employability

Teaching and learning

When will teaching start for my course?

The majority of teaching will start online in the week commencing 18 January online until at least mid-February, but there will be on-campus teaching sessions for some government-designated essential courses from 25 January.

Your course tutors will be in contact with you directly to confirm the arrangements as to how your course will be delivered and the support that will be offered to you.

You will be able to access a fully online International Student Orientation programme as well as a ‘Hallam Welcome’ programme which will introduce you to the University, the Students' Union, the resources on offer to you and the comprehensive support offered through your three dedicated advisers.

All courses have a dedicated ‘Welcome’ schedule which can be found here. You will need your student login details to access your schedule and search for your course.

Will I be learning on campus?

While the Covid-19 lockdown restrictions are in place (currently until 15 February 2021 in England) most courses will be delivered online. However, there are some designated as essential by the Government* where face-to-face teaching will be delivered.

* Allied Health Professions • Nursing and Midwifery • Social Work • Social Care and Community Studies • Teacher Education/Early Childhood and Inclusion • Policing

If you are studying on one of these courses, you will be advised by your course teams through Blackboard in the coming days if your on-campus activities will continue during the period of national restrictions.

It is essential that you should check Blackboard module sites every day once your course has started. You will be advised of changes to timetabled sessions through Blackboard.

Can I delay my enrolment?

No, all students must enrol by 22 January latest. If you are unable to do this, please contact to request a deferral. Please include your full name, date of birth and student ID in your email.

How do I know if my fee status is international?

If your fee status is unclear, once you have applied, our international admissions team will send you a fee status questionnaire. we use UKCISA guidelines to determine student fee status. Click here to find out more.

Can I delay paying my tuition fee?

No, you must pay half of your payable tuition fee before you are able to enrol. This means that your payment must reach the university before 22 January, so you don’t miss the deadline for enrolment. You must not use the bank transfer method if you are making a payment close to the enrolment deadline, you must pay online instead.

If you have paid already, but when you click on the enrolment link, you don’t see your course, there may be an issue with your payment. In such cases, you must email attaching evidence of payment.

In light of the current UK government restrictions, we have extended our fees policy and guidance to include refunds for international students who have started their course but are subsequently unable to get a visa.

I have paid my tuition fee, but I still can’t enrol

If you have already paid 50% of your payable tuition fee before the enrolment deadline of 22 January, you should be able to enrol as soon as the payment reaches the University bank account.

  • If you have paid online, or via Western Union: Please allow at least two days for online payments to be credited to your student account before you try to access the enrolment task again.
  • If you have paid by bank transfer: Payments by bank transfer take longer to arrive in the University’s account so please email proof of payment to Please note you need to do this only once.

Once your payment has been credited to your account, your course will be listed in the online enrolment task. Please check the enrolment link several times a day and proceed with your enrolment as soon as possible.

If you have sent us evidence that you have requested the payment (e.g. bank transfer request), but the payment has yet to reach us, you will be allowed to enrol with conditions for 2–4 weeks.

You must continue to engage with your online lectures and course activities while your enrolment is being finalised.

I did not enrol and now my place has been cancelled. What should I do?

Since you have not enrolled following our attempts to contact you, we have assumed that you do not wish to take up your place for 2020/21.  If this is not the case, and you are currently engaging with your course and you meet all the enrolment conditions, please contact us urgently by emailing Please also contact us if you wish to defer your place to the September 2021 or January 2022 intakes.

If you are not taking your university place now, but you have already applied for your visa, we advise you to withdraw your visa application and check if you are eligible for a refund from UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI). If your visa has already been granted, it will be curtailed by UKVI and you must not use it to travel to the UK.

In case you have travelled to the UK already, you will be required to leave within 60 days of the visa being curtailed.

Will studying remotely affect my ability to apply for the Graduate Route when I have completed my course?

If you are studying a one-year master’s in January 2021, you will still be eligible to apply for the Graduate Route – even if you begin studying remotely – provided you are in the UK by 27 September 2021 and complete the final semester of your studies in the UK. We are awaiting confirmation that this will also apply to courses that are due to start in February.

In addition, students who are studying courses lasting longer than a year and which are not due to be completed in 2021 will still be eligible for the Graduate route – even if you have studied all or part of the 2020/21 academic year via distance learning due to the pandemic.

You can find further information in the Government's published guidelines on their website.

Arrival into the UK, accommodation and quarantine

When do I need to be in the UK to start my course in January 2021?

UK Government advice for international students travelling from overseas to the UK is to consider whether you need to travel to the UK at this time, particularly if your course does not require you to be on campus. The UK Government has asked that you should consider delaying your arrival if travel arrangements can be rearranged without undue costs.

At Sheffield Hallam we understand that you may be very advanced in your plans to travel to the UK. Some students may have already arrived in the UK and some may not be able to change travel plans without significant cost. If you anticipate that your arrival will be delayed, please fill out the Late Arrival Notification Form so we know when to expect you.

If for any reason, you are unable to commence your course during the proposed entry dates, we will support you to defer your place to September 2021, depending on the course.

If you fall into the UK definition of a clinically vulnerable person, and you think you should not travel to the UK at all during the COVID-19 pandemic, we may be able to support you to study remotely depending on your course. Please read this information and follow the guidance.

Please note all international students must enrol and start learning remotely by 22 January at the latest. We will withdraw sponsorship from students who have not enrolled by 22 January, so you should not travel to the UK after that date unless you have enrolled.

Will I need a Covid-19 test to enter the UK?

All international arrivals to England, including UK nationals are required to present a negative Covid-19 test taken up to 72 hours prior to departure. In addition, from 15 February anyone travelling to the UK must book and pay for a travel test package, which includes COVID-19 tests to be taken on or before day 2 and on or after day 8 of the ten-day quarantine. More information about how to book and pay for the test is available from GOV.UK. Please note you must book the additional package prior to travel.

We understand that this is an unexpected cost for many of our international students still preparing to travel to the UK. We have therefore made provisions to cover up to £200 per student which you will be able to claim once you have arrived in the UK. We will contact you with instructions on how to claim this support once you have arrived in the UK.

Please note that you are not able to enter the UK if travelling from countries currently subject to UK Government travel bans. We also advise you not to attempt to transit through these countries on your way to the UK.

Will the university support airport arrivals into airports other than Manchester?

The airport pick up service is available only at Manchester airport. If you are arriving at a different airport, please follow the guidance published on our website. It is very important that you tell us when you will arrive in the UK – find out more about our arrivals service.

If I am arriving into the UK at a time or place where no university arrival services are available, how should I arrange safe travel to campus?

The UK Government rules on self-isolation on arrival in the UK permit travel by public transport to the address where you plan to self-isolate. Please refer to the how to self-isolate when you travel to the UK section of the Government website for further details.

Will I be able to find suitable accommodation?

We guarantee that accommodation will be available and you will be able to choose from a wide range of property and budget types close to the university campuses. With advance notice, most of our accommodation partners will be able to support flexible start dates and variable contract lengths. Your accommodation deposit will be refunded with no penalty if your course is no longer running, or you are unable to travel to the UK due to travel restrictions being in place.

We have been working closely with our accommodation providers and local Public Health services to ensure you are able to settle safely into your accommodation and start enjoying your university experience.

You can search and apply for accommodation online. The sooner you apply, the more likely you are to get your first choice of property. We’ll follow government guidance to give you a safe and comfortable home – you can find out what measures we've put in place on our accommodation FAQ.

What support is available as I prepare to travel to the UK to study at Sheffield Hallam University?

Our International Experience Team provide extensive support for international students, in the lead up to and during the arrival and orientation period, and throughout your studies with us. You can find full details of this comprehensive support offer on our website.

Please see full details of the timings for these services on our website.

If I am unable, or no longer wish, to start my course in January, will I be eligible for a refund or be able to defer my place?

All applicants who confirm their place and pay their deposit for January 2021 will be able to review their situation, and will be entitled to a full deposit refund on request until 1 January 2021 if unable to take their course place. Or, you can choose to defer your place to a course start date up to September 2022 regardless of any previous deferrals.

You can visit our paying for your course and deposits page for more information.

All students will be kept regularly up to date with all the latest news and developments in plans for teaching, learning and support and staying connected to the University, whether you choose to start in January or in a later intake.

What if I want to change the course I am interested in?

We are committed to being as flexible as we can with students in making the right choices for them and will support applicants to change the course they have applied to, to a suitable alternative in the run up to their start date, or as part of the deferral process. Full details of specific course entry criteria and eligibility can be found on our course pages.

I have taken an online pre-sessional course in 2020 but now want to defer my place to September 2021. Will I be able to progress with this pause in my study?

We want to support you to progress to a course start date that is right for you, so we will accept 2020 online pre-sessional courses for entry up to two years from the date of the award.

If you undertook your pre-sessional course whilst domiciled in the UK, you will need to ensure you can make this deferral under your visa arrangements.

What do I do if I need to provide proof of my English Language requirement but test centres are closed?

The position of test centres in certain countries is rapidly changing. We recommend checking qualification providers’ websites for the latest advice. A list of our English language entry requirements is available on the website.

We are currently accepting a range of alternative tests should an applicant be unable to take an IELTS test. You can view details of the English language qualifications we are accepting on the website.

If you need to study a pre-sessional English language course before starting your degree, we are now offering a range of online pre-sessional English courses.


What if I need to quarantine when I arrive in the UK?

Students from certain countries may need to self-quarantine for 10 days on arrival in the UK. Please check the UK Government information before you travel. 

The UK Government has announced a Test to Release scheme, which allows you to reduce your self-isolation time after travel with a privately purchased Covid-19 test. The scheme begins on the 15 December, and involves taking a test five days after you have arrived in the UK from a country on the travel corridor list.

If you do need to self-quarantine in January 2021, we guarantee the following package of support.

What specific support will I receive from the University during quarantine?

We will provide support for getting you set up in your accommodation, and comprehensive support of provision of basic necessities throughout any quarantine periods when you start in January 2021. This includes: a ten-day rent-free quarantine period, the provision of basic necessities and food during quarantine periods at no cost to students, and accommodation and basic necessities (food and essentials) support for returning students needing to self-isolate.

Can I access the free ten-day quarantine accommodation and then move to different accommodation of my choosing afterwards?

Yes you can. You must make arrangements for you to receive quarantine accommodation in advance by notifying the accommodation service at Sheffield Hallam but following those two weeks you are free to sign a contract with any accommodation provider or landlord for the rest of your year. You can find out more on our accommodation FAQ.

If you have booked your accommodation through a private sector landlord and they are unable to help you quarantine safely or fulfil your requirements, then we can make arrangements for you to receive quarantine accommodation by notifying the accommodation service at Sheffield Hallam prior to your arrival. Find out more about our self-isolation support.

Can I access quarantine accommodation if I travel to Sheffield with dependants?

Unfortunately Sheffield Hallam is only able to offer quarantine support for students and is unable to extend this offer to students travelling with dependents as the accommodation we have available is only suitable for those who can isolate on a single basis. You can find more guidance about accommodation support on arrival on our website.


My visa application is delayed. What can I do?

Please note that the University is unable to speed up visa applications. If the delay in your visa application means that you will be delayed arriving in Sheffield beyond 21 January, please read this guidance carefully.

If you are joining a course which require you to arrive on campus by 21 January 2021, and it is unlikely that your visa will be ready in time, please withdraw your visa application and check if you are eligible for a refund from UK Visa and Immigration.

If you do not need to be on campus by 21 January, it is important you enrol and engage with your studies whilst you wait for the outcome of your visa application. Make sure you fill out the Late Arrival Notification Form if you anticipate a late arrival.

I have received a visa refusal. What are my options?

If you have received a visa refusal after enrolling and starting your course, you must notify us immediately and forward the visa refusal notice. Depending on your circumstances, our specialist advisers can support you with an application for an administrative review, or with a new visa application. If this is not possible, you will be advised to apply for a break in study, or withdrawal with an intermediate award after discussing your academic options with your student support adviser.

If none of the options are available for you, you can request a full refund of any tuition fees paid.

I already have my visa, but I would now like to delay my arrival in the UK?

If you plan to delay your arrival for more than 90 days, your temporary vignette is likely to expire and you will need to apply for a replacement following this guidance. If you’d like support for your application, please contact

I have arrived in the UK, but I can’t collect my BRP within the deadline specified on my letter. What should I do?

Students will not be penalised for being unable to collect their Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) while coronavirus (COVID-19) measures are in place. Please contact us when you are in Sheffield.

Careers and employability

Will I still be able to gain work experience as part of my degree?

We have been working hard to adapt the work experience and placements offer, to be more flexible and to include virtual opportunities where it is appropriate. This means you can still apply your learning and knowledge, but in the safest way possible - check our FAQ for updated guidance on placements.

Employability support

The Careers and Employability Service provide specialist resources, advice and events for international students to help with career planning, finding a placement or part-time work, and making the most of your time while studying at Sheffield Hallam. This includes working in partnership with the International Experience Team to deliver a number of ‘Working in the UK’ information and Q&A sessions during your orientation programme.

We also offer the Hallam Achieve programme, specifically for international students, that is designed to enhance your career readiness and employability success by helping you to identify and articulate your skills, knowledge and experience in an appropriate and professional way. Through a series of interactive workshops, events and a mock interview, you will take ownership of your personal career journey, improve your confidence in navigating the recruitment process and shape your future success 

Back to top

Share this page

Cancel event

Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?