Choosing the right career
Deciding on a career can be challenging, but researching and identifying your options early will help you focus on your future, so you end up in the right job.
Find out where your course could lead you
Your course may lead to a particular career or employment sector, making your search more focused. Find out more by visiting the subjects section on Careers Connect.
You can also find out which jobs other graduates within your subject have entered. Have a look at the Unistats website for information about the destinations of Sheffield Hallam graduates.
Access careers advice
Talking things through with one of our careers advisers can be incredibly beneficial. They offer one-to-one appointments to help you
- assess your skills and preferences
- identify the best career options
- advise you how to achieve your goals
- explore further study or time out (if relevant)
Identify careers that suit you
Taking some time to think about your interests, personality, skills and values will help you identify which careers will suit you.
Go to the choosing your career section on Careers Connect to explore this further.
Other online resources that ask you questions about yourself to identify suitable careers include the following (please note that these are links to external websites).
- Prospects Planner
- Profiling for Success
- Target jobs Career Planner
- Inside Careers Getting Started
Understand job market trends
When you're looking for a graduate job, it is useful to understand the job market. This will help you
- recognise growing sectors with increased job opportunities
- develop the skills you need to get a job in the relevant industry
- identify where to gain work experience
Useful sources of information include
- The Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services
- The Association of Graduate Recruiters
- Higher Education Careers Services Unit
Sheffield Hallam University is not responsible for the content of external websites