Sessions will be Fridays 1pm - 3pm. Book your place.
Join the gardening group at Collegiate. Come and grow fresh organic edibles and plants and improve your mental health whilst at University. It is a practical, hands on gardening session, please wear appropriate footwear and clothing for the outdoors. Gloves and a set of tools will be provided at the beginning of each session.
These sessions are an opportunity to learn new skills, relax in an informal setting, meet people and improve wellbeing through gardening. During the session you will get the chance to grow vegetables, plants and maintain crops. Meeting in the greenhouse next to Mundella House, which is near to The Mews, it provides the opportunity to garden throughout the year. Once crops are ready you can take away what you have grown, including house plants, flowers and edible crops.
Each week there is a schedule of planned activities and the session is led by staff. This is a practical and hands-on, which means you could get muddy - please wear suitable clothing and shoes. All tools will be provided, and beginners are welcome- no previous experience necessary! Although the sessions usually run every Friday afternoon for two hours, you can attend for just part of the session and you can attend regularly or occasionally.
Gardening can be used as part of the 5 ways to wellbeing.
- Connect : Meet people, talk, listen and share with others and reduce isolation
- Be Active: gardening is a great form of exercise which benefits both physical and mental health
- Take Notice: be aware of the changing seasons around you and be and experience nature
- Keep learning: develop new skills and gain in confidence
- Give: share and support others whilst working as a team to grow crops and plants.
Please note this event is now open for staff and students.