Get help from our service

Register for support

Mental health

Mental health appointments aim to help those with anxiety, depression and other conditions like bipolar disorder. We will help you to develop strategies to cope with your difficulties.

Appointments are taken by wellbeing practitioners. They have mental health qualifications and expertise as well as a good knowledge of local NHS services.

Practitioners will give advice and information and provide a space to help you to consider how best to approach your current difficulties. In addition, practitioners are able to:

  • liaise with staff in your college about your needs.
  • make referrals to other SHU support services such as Disabled Student Support.
  • help you contact your GP and advise about local mental health services.
  • support you to return to your studies following time out of your course due to mental health difficulties.

To access this support you need to register with Student Wellbeing

NHS mental health support 

To access NHS mental health support, students can contact their GP (this can be your home GP if you haven’t yet moved to a GP near your university address) or refer to NHS 111 online.  You can find more information about NHS children and young people's mental health services (CYPMHS) and how to access them on the NHS website.

Self-referral options are commonly available, and many services offer single points of access. This means there is a single set of contact information through which all queries and referrals are channelled through.

Get help from our service

Register for support
Share this page