Accessibility statement for UniDesk
This website is run by Sheffield Hallam University. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible. For instance:
- navigation may be difficult due to some missing heading structure
- some areas may have low colour contrast
- some buttons cannot be used with keyboard
- some content is displayed in frames with no title attribute
How to report accessibility issues with this platform
If you find content that you are unable to access on our website, we recommend you contact the site owner in the first instance, using any contact details on the pages. They will have direct access to the original content and be able to provide any alternative formats needed.
How to contact the University about accessibility issues
Please contact us at email@example.com if you need further assistance with accessibility issues – for instance, if you
- need information in a different format, such as accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille
- encounter any problems not outlined on this page
- think we are not meeting accessibility requirements
The University also licenses Sensus Access, a service which can automatically improve the accessibility of files. We recommend staff and students use this to quickly create more accessible files.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Sheffield Hallam University is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
Non accessible content
We are aware that the website does not meet WCAG standards in some areas, as set out below.
- Some images and icons do not have alternative text.
- There are some areas of very low contrast between foreground and background colours
- Inconsistent use of space bar to activate action button
- There are some links throughout the website which contain no text
- Navigation by heading level is not intuitive
How we tested this website
The University is using manual testing to run accessibility audits of this website.
In addition, we are currently scoping additional ways to identify accessibility issues, including user testing.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
As well as running regular accessibility audits, we are working with staff members to raise awareness around good accessibility practice.
This statement was prepared on 7 October 2020. It was last updated on 7 October 2020.