The scientific practical experience is central to all of our courses. Our extensive suite of industry standard laboratories provide the very best learning environment for students to gain experience of the cutting edge techniques used in the Biological and Chemical sciences.
Our undergraduate and postgraduate students have access to a range of laboratories including
- a synthetic chemistry suite
- ·nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy
- a state of the art mass spectrometry suite
- two cell culture suites consisting of eleven laminar flow hoods and incubators
- an extensive range of analytical equipment, such as HPLCs, GCs atomic spectroscopy and infra-red spectroscopy.
- high-powered microscopes for cell and tissue analysis
- state of the art fluorescence technology for the quantitative measurement of DNA and protein
On completion, our cell culture suite won an S-lab award for the best refurbished laboratory. The S-lab scheme is sponsored by highly regarded scientific organisations including the national HE-STEM programme, the Society of Biology and the Royal Society of Chemistry.
The university has recently invested in a new state of the art multi-purpose science laboratory as part of the university's £10 million investment in STEM facilities providing even more opportunity for our students to have hands on learning in modern, high specification facilities.