All our courses have an emphasis on practical work which mimics the real world, in laboratories equipped with industry-standard equipment.
Our undergraduate and postgraduate students have access to
- a synthetic chemistry suite
- nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy
- a state of the art mass spectrometry suite
- two cell culture suites consisting of eleven laminar flow hoods and incubators
- an extensive range of analytical equipment, such as HPLCs, GCs atomic spectroscopy and infra-red spectroscopy.
- high-powered microscopes for cell and tissue analysis
- state of the art fluorescence technology for the quantitative measurement of DNA and protein
On completion our cell culture suite won an S-lab award for the best refurbished laboratory. The S-lab scheme is sponsored by highly regarded scientific organisations including the national HE-STEM programme, the Society of Biology and the Royal Society of Chemistry.
A new Chemistry laboratory will be available from Spring 2017 as part of the university's £10 million investment in STEM facilities.