Chief Examiner - Institute of Chartered Secretaries
I am a Principal Lecturer in Enterprise, Entrepreneurship and Strategic Management. I have been working in academia for 11 years. Previously I worked in industry mainly in marketing roles within insurance, engineering and design. I ran my own successful business producing video and audio training products for 10 years before joining the academic community. My principal research interests are in nascent entrepreneurship especially business start-up, opportunity identification and entrepreneurial cognition. This research focus is augmented by consultancy and business engagement activities. I undertook a PhD at the University of Hull and completed in 2007. As well as teaching and researching I am the programme leader for taught masters courses in the Department of Management.
Nascent Entrepreneurship, Opportunity Recognition, New Business Venturing, Cognitive Style
- 2007: PhD Management - 'A Psychometric Analysis of Nascent Entrepreneurs', University of Hull, United Kingdom
- 1992: BA Business Studies, Other, United Kingdom
- 1988: HND Business and Finance, Other, United Kingdom
Member of professional body
- 2011 to 2017: Chief Examiner, Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA), United Kingdom
PG External Examiner
- 2012 to 2015: , University of Hull, United Kingdom
UG External Examiner
- 2011 to 2016: External Examiner, Kingston University, United Kingdom
- Strategic Management; Entrepreneurship & Innovation; Business Planning; Consultancy
Department of Management
Sheffield Business School
2007 to present: BA Management; BA Business Studies; MSc International Business Management; MBA, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
Hird, A.P. (2012). The Impact of Entrepreneurial Cognition on the Founding and Survival of New Small Businesses. Industry and Higher Education, 26 (6), 453-460. http://doi.org/10.5367/ihe.2012.0124
Hird, A. (2012). Business Management and Practice.
Hird, A. (2015). Proactive Personality Disposition and its Effects on the Start-Up Actions of Nascent Entrepreneurs.
Hird, A. (2011). The impact of entrepreneurial cognition on the founding and survival of new small businesses.
- 2011: Conference Chair, Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (ISBE), United Kingdom
- 2009:PhD supervision (1 student)