Professor Arutiun Ehiasarian is the Head of the National HIPIMS Technology Centre - UK and Director of the Joint SHU-Fraunhofer IST HIPIMS Research Centre opened in 2010. He has been part of the Nanotechnology Centre for PVD Research at Sheffield Hallam University since 1998. Arutiun is one of the pioneers of high power impulse magnetron sputtering (HIPIMS) technology. His research concentrates on the development of plasma PVD technologies to improve the performance of coatings used for wear, oxidation and corrosion protection in automotive, aerospace and orthopaedic industries, as well as through-silicon via metallisation for semiconductor wafer processing, thin film photovoltaics, cryogenic materials for space satellites and superconducting thin films for particle accelerator cavities.
Arutiun is the Chair of the International Conference on HIPIMS organised jointly by Sheffield Hallam University and Fraunhofer IST. He is also the Secretary of the British Vacuum Council.
Arutiun obtained his PhD in Plasma Science and Surface Engineering after undergraduate studies at the University of Sofia 'St Kliment Ohridski', Bulgaria, and obtaining the degree of BSc (Hons) in Applied Physics from the University of Salford, UK.
His research concentrates on development of plasma PVD technologies to improve the properties and performance of coatings used for wear, oxidation and corrosion protection in automotive and aerospace industries, as well as through-silicon via metallisation for semiconductor wafer processing, thin film photovoltaics, and cryogenic materials. He has developed technologies for substrate pretreatment prior to coating deposition to improve adhesion, deposition of coatings with dense microstructure, low-pressure plasma nitriding and hybrid processes of plasma nitriding/coating deposition. He has experience with cathodic vacuum arc discharges, dc and pulsed magnetron discharges, and radio-frequency coil enhanced magnetron sputtering. He utilises plasma diagnostics such as optical emission spectroscopy (OES), electrostatic probes, energy-resolved mass spectroscopy and atomic absorption spectroscopy. Materials characterisation includes high-resolution TEM, STEM, STEM-EDS, SEM, and XRD as well as mechanical testing available at NTCPVD.
Arutiun is one of the pioneers of high power impulse magnetron sputtering (HIPIMS) technology and his work on plasma diagnostics, coating deposition and pretreatment with HIPIMS has received seven awards, including:
- European Physical Society Plasma Physics Division Innovation Award for the use of plasma physics in coating technology and engineering 2018
- Ionbond Award of Recognition for establishing the UK's largest HIPIMS Production Facility
- SVC Mentor Award for Industrial Implementation of HIPIMS
- AVS Peter Mark Memorial Award for seminal contributions to the science and application of High Power Impulse Magnetron Sputtering in 2010
- Huttinger Industrial Accolade Award of recognition 2008, for the successful development of the first industrially viable HIPIMS Magnetron Power Supply, introduced to market by the legal predecessor of Huttinger Electronic Sp. z.o.o in 2003
- R F Bunshah Award acknowledging a best paper presented at the International Conference on Metallurgical Thin Films and Coatings (ICMCTF) 2002, San Diego, USA
- TecVac Prize for best presentation at Materials Congress 2002, London, UK
He is an author of more than 130 publications, 40 invited lectures and five patents in the field of PVD and HIPIMS.
Specialist Area of Interest:
- High Power Impulse Magnetron Sputtering,
- Plasma Diagnostics,
- Plasma Discharges,
- Coating growth and microstructure evolution,
- Coating performance.
Science, Technology and Arts
Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics (BSc Second Year)
- Thin Films Research Centre
- Materials and Engineering Research Institute
08.2012-06.2016: High Efficiency CuInSe2 Photovoltaic Modules Deposited at Low Temperature by High Power Impulse Magnetron Sputtering (HIPIMS).
- EPSRC responsive mode grant - Oct. 2006 - 2009;
- Development of HIPIMS-based processes for the deposition of absorber and back-contact layers for low-temperature deposition of thin film solar cells.
10.2006-10.2009: Fundamentals of High Power Impulse Magnetron Sputtering - Plasma Studies and Material Synthesis.
- EPSRC responsive mode grant - Oct. 2006 - 2009;
- Fundamental understanding of the HIPIMS plasma and its effect on coating microstructure. Novel nanoscale multilayers with improved interface quality.
2005-2009: INNOVATIAL - Innovative processes and materials to synthesise knowledge-based ultra-performance nanostructured PVD thin films on gamma Titanium Aluminides.
- European IP project - Framework 6, 2005-2009;
- Development of high density hard coatings to resist high temperature oxidation up to 1000°C. Enhancing the adhesion of superhard nanoscale multilayer coatings on steel and gamma-TiAl substrates. Development of new plasma diagnostic technique for time-resolved analysis.
2005-2006: LPPN - Low Pressure Plasma Nitriding
- MERI Green Shoots Project, 2005-2006;
- Development of a high efficiency nitriding process to be combined with PVD coating in a single production unit. The project involved the development of a nitriding process to work at low pressures, achieving high plasma densities and degree of activation of nitrogen, increasing the depth of nitriding (nitriding case) on stainless steel and high speed steel substrates. The process is in industrial validation tests.
2003-2005: High Power Impulse Magnetron Sputtering
- European CRAFT project - Framework 5, July 2003 – 2005.
- Upscaling and implementation of high power impulse magnetron sputtering technology for the deposition of hard coatings. Development of first commercial-grade HIPIMS power supply on the market (2001). Implementation in automated coating deposition process including cathode and substrate bias design. Deposition of first superhard nanoscale multilayer coatings utilising HIPIMS in industrial conditions.
2000-2003: Droplet Free Metal Ion Sources for PVD Coating Production
- EPSRC, final report submitted September 2003.
- Fundamental plasma studies of the HIPIMS discharge - first indepth characterisation proving the presence of metal ions and the presence of doubly-charged metal species. Temporal evolution of the metal and gas ions in HIPIMS plasma showing gas rarefaction effect and self-sputtering regime. First characterisation of HIPIMS in Ar-N2 atmosphere. Development of HIPIMS technology for pre-treatment of substrates prior to coating deposition for the enhancement of adhesion. Deposition of first nitride films (CrN) showing high microstructural density and resistance to corrosion and wear.
- Development and plasma analysis of radio frequency coil in industrial size batch coater.
10.2001-10.2002: Combined Steered Arc/Unbalanced Magnetron Cathode with Modulated Cathode Spot Confinement Zone.
- MRI Green Shoots project, 2002;
- Development of a magnetic system to provide better target utilisation during arc discharge evaporation.
Collaborators and Sponsors: EPSRC, EU Framework
Hovsepian, P., Ehiasarian, A., Purandare, Y., Biswas, B., Perez, F., Lasanta, M., ... Aguero, A. (2016). Performance of HIPIMS deposited CrN/NbN nanostructured coatings exposed to 650°C in pure steam environment. Materials chemistry and physics, 179, 110-119. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2016.05.017
Hovsepian, P., Mandal, P., Ehiasarian, A., Safran, G., Tietema, R., & Doerwald, D. (2016). Friction and wear behaviour of Mo − W doped carbon-based coating during boundary lubricated sliding. Applied Surface Science, 366, 260-274. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2016.01.007
Loch, D.A.L., Gonzalvo, Y.A., & Ehiasarian, A.P. (2015). Nickel coatings by Inductively Coupled Impulse Sputtering (ICIS). Surface and coatings technology, 267, 98-104. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2014.11.029
Bandorf, R., & Ehiasarian, A. (2014). 4th International Conference on Fundamentals and Applications of HIPIMS and Final Event of COST Action MP0804 "Highly Ionized Pulse Plasma Processes - HIPP Processes", 12-13.6.2013, Braunschweig, Germany. Surface and Coatings Technology, 250, 1. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2014.04.006
Purandare, Y., Ehiasarian, A., Santana, A., & Hovsepian, P. (2014). ZrN coatings deposited by high power impulse magnetron sputtering and cathodic arc techniques. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A, 32 (3). http://doi.org/10.1116/1.4869975
Purandare, Y., Ehiasarian, A., & Hovsepian, P. (2011). Structure and properties of ZrN coatings deposited by high power impulse magnetron sputtering technology. Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A: Vacuum, Surfaces, and Films, 29 (1), 011004. http://doi.org/10.1116/1.3520640
Yukimura, K., Ehiasarian, A.P., Ogiso, H., Nakano, S., & Azuma, K. (2011). Metal ionization in a high-power pulsed sputtering penning discharge. IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, 39 (11 PART 2), 3125-3132. http://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2011.2163428
Yukimura, K., Ogiso, H., Nakano, S., & Ehiasarian, A.P. (2011). High-power inductively coupled impulse sputtering glow plasma. IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, 39 (11 PART 2), 3085-3094. http://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2011.2160409
Vishnyakov, V.M., Ehiasarian, A.P., Vishnyakov, V.V., Hovsepian, P., & Colligon, J.S. (2011). Amorphous boron containing silicon carbo-nitrides created by ion sputtering. Surface and Coatings Technology, 206 (1), 149-154. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2011.07.002
Safran, G., Reinhard, C., Ehiasarian, A.P., Barna, P.B., Szekely, L., Geszti, O., & Hovsepian, P.E. (2009). Influence of the bias voltage on the structure and mechanical performance of nanoscale multilayer CrAlYN/CrN physical vapor deposition coatings. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A, 27 (2), 174-182. http://doi.org/10.1116/1.3065675
Zhou, Z.X., Ross, I.M., Rainforth, W.M., Cavaleiro, A., Ehiasarian, A.P., & Hovsepian, P.E. (2009). Degradation of a C/CrC PVD coating after annealing in Ar + H-2 at 700 degrees C studied by Raman spectroscopy and transmission electron microscopy. Materials at high temperatures, 26 (2), 169-176. http://doi.org/10.3184/096034009X462971
Hecimovic, A., Burcalova, K., & Ehiasarian, A.P. (2008). Origins of ion energy distribution function (IEDF) in high power impulse magnetron sputtering (HIPIMS) plasma discharge. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 41 (9). http://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/41/9/095203
Luo, Q., Schimpf, C., Ehiasarian, A.P., Chen, L., & Hovsepian, P. (2007). Structure and wear mechanisms of nano-structured TiAlCN/VCN multilayer coatings. Plasma Process and Polymers, 4, S916-S920. http://doi.org/10.1002/ppap.200732205
Ehiasarian, A.P., Anders, A., & Petrov, I. (2007). Combined filtered cathodic arc etching pretreatment-magnetron sputter deposition of highly adherent CrN films. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A, 25 (3), 543-550. http://doi.org/10.1116/1.2730512
Reinhard, C., Ehiasarian, A.P., & Hovsepian, P.E. (2007). CrN/NbN superlattice structured coatings with enhanced corrosion resistance achieved by high power impulse magnetron sputtering interface pre-treatment. Thin Solid Films, 515 (7-8), 3685-3692. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2006.11.014
Lewis, D.B., Creasey, S.J., Wustefeld, C., Ehiasarian, A.P., & Hovsepian, P.E. (2006). The role of the growth defects on the corrosion resistance of CrN/NbN superlattice coatings deposited at low temperatures. Thin Solid Films, 503 (1-2), 143-148. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2005.08.375
Helmersson, U., Lattemann, M., Bohlmark, J., Ehiasarian, A.P., & Gudmundsson, J.T. (2006). Ionized physical vapor deposition (IPVD): A review of technology and applications. Thin Solid Films, 513 (1-2), 1-24. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2006.03.033
van Essen, P., Hoy, R., Kamming, J.D., Ehiasarian, A.P., & Janssen, G. (2006). Scratch resistance and wear of CrNx coatings. Surface and Coatings Technology, 200 (11), 3496-3502. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2004.09.020
Zhou, Z.X., Rainforth, W.M., Rother, B., Ehiasarian, A.P., Hovsepian, P.E., & Munz, W.D. (2004). Elemental distributions and substrate rotation in industrial TiAlN/VN superlattice hard PVD coatings. Surface and Coatings Technology, 183 (2-3), 275-282. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2003.09.060
Ehiasarian, A., Hovsepian, P., Hultman, L., & Helmersson, U. (2004). Comparison of microstructure and mechanical properties of chromium nitride-based coatings deposited by high power impulse magnetron sputtering and by the combined steered cathodic arc/unbalanced magnetron technique. Thin solid films, 457 (2), 270-277. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2003.11.113
Ehiasarian, A., Munz, W.D., Hultman, L., Helmersson, U., Petrov, I., & Seitz, F. (2003). High power pulsed magnetron sputtered CrNx films. Galvanotechnik, 94 (6), 1480-1487
Mandal, P., Ehiasarian, A., & Hovsepian, P. (n.d.). Isothermal and dynamic oxidation behaviour of Mo−W doped carbon-based coating. Applied Surface Science, 353, 1291-1309. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2015.07.057
Bandorf, R., & Ehiasarian, A. (2018). Editorial - 8th International Conference on Fundamentals and Applications of HIPIMS, 13.-14.6.2017, Braunschweig, Germany. In Surface and Coatings Technology, 352, 662. Elsevier: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2018.08.087
Aull, S., Calatroni, S., Doebert, S., Junginger, T., Ehiasarian, A.P., Knobloch, J., & Terenziani, G. (2013). RF characterization of niobium films for superconducting cavities. In IPAC 2013: Proceedings of the 4th International Particle Accelerator Conference, 2399-2401.
Ehiasarian, A., & Bandorf, R. (2012). Preface. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 39 (1). http://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/39/1/011001
Hovsepian, P.E., Kamath, G., Ehiasarian, A.P., Haasch, R., & Petrov, I. (2012). Microstructure, oxidation and tribological properties of TiAlCN/VCN coatings deposited by reactive HIPIMS. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 39 (1). http://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/39/1/012011
Papa, F., Gerdes, H., Bandorf, R., Ehiasarian, A.P., Kolev, I., Braeuer, G., ... Krug, T. (2011). Deposition rate characteristics for steady state high power impulse magnetron sputtering (HIPIMS) discharges generated with a modulated pulsed power (MPP) generator. In Thin Solid Films, 520 (5), 1559-1563. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2011.09.004
Bohlmark, J., Ehiasarian, A.P., Lattemann, M., Alami, J., & Helmersson, U. (2005). The ion energy distributions in a high power impulse magnetron plasma. In Proceedings, Annual Technical Conference - Society of Vacuum Coaters, 470-473.
Hoy, R., Van Essen, P., Kamminga, J.D., Janssen, G.C.A.M., & Ehiasarian, A. (2004). Scratch test measurements on CrNx coatings. In Cocoran, S.G., Joo, Y.-.C., Moody, N.R., & Suo, Z. (Eds.) Thin Films - Stresses and Mechanical Properties X, December 1, 2003 - December 5, 2003, Boston, MA., United states, 31 December 2004(pp. 491-496). Materials Research Society
Hovsepian, P.E., Ehiasarian, A.P., Münz, W.D., Lewis, D.B., & Thompson, G. (2003). Performance of High-Precision Knife Blades Treated by Plasma Nitriding and PVD Coating. In Proceedings, Annual Technical Conference - Society of Vacuum Coaters, 61-66.
Ehiasarian, A.P., Hovsepian, P.E., New, R., & Münz, W.D. (2003). Influence of Steering Magnetic Field on the Composition and Intensity of the Ion Flux Generated in Arc Discharges. In Proceedings, Annual Technical Conference - Society of Vacuum Coaters, 437-441.
Ehiasarian, A., Munz, W.D., Hultman, L., Helmersson, U., & Petrov, I. (2003). High power pulsed magnetron sputtered CrNx films. In Surface and coatings technology, 163-16, 267-272. http://doi.org/10.1016/S0257-8972(02)00479-6
Schonjahn, C., Ehiasarian, A., Lewis, D.B., New, R., Munz, W.D., Twesten, R.D., & Petrov, I. (2001). Optimization of in situ substrate surface treatment in a cathodic arc plasma: A study by TEM and plasma diagnostics. In Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A, 19 (4), 1415-1420. American Vacuum Society: http://doi.org/10.1116/1.1349726
Theses / Dissertations
Loch, D.A.L. (2015). Development of an inductively coupled impulse sputtering source for coating deposition. (Doctoral thesis) Supervised by Ehiasarian, A., & Hovsepian, P.
Oniszczuk, A.W. (n.d.). Microstructure and cutting performance of V-C based coatings deposited by HIPIMS/UBM. (Doctoral thesis) Supervised by Ehiasarian, A. http://doi.org/10.7190/shu-thesis-00023
- External examiner for PhD theses, rapporteur to internal PhD projects
- Symposium Chair at the International Conference on Metallurgical Thin Films and Coatings (ICMCTF) organised by the American Vacuum Society (AVS), USA
- Chair of the Technical Advisory Committee at the Annual Technical Conference of the Society of Vacuum Coaters (SVC), USA
- Chair of the International Conference on HIPIMS organised jointly by Sheffield Hallam University and Fraunhofer IST
- UK representative at the Advanced Surface Engineering Division of the International Union for Vacuum Science, Technique and its Applications (IUVSTA), and Secretary of the British Vacuum Council.
- Member of the European Joint Committee on Plasma and Ion Surface Engineering, representing UK.
- Microstructure and Cutting Performance of V-C based coatings deposited by HIPIMS/UMB - A.W. Oniszczuk, 2017
- Development of High temperature/Oxidation Resistant PVD coatings for cutting tools using HIPIMS - T.J. Morton, 2017
- Development of an inductively coupled impulse sputtering source for coating deposition - D.A.L. Loch (2015).
- Tribological study of novel metal-doped carbon-based coatings with enhanced thermal stability - P. Mandal (2015).
- Development of nanostructured PVD coatings for total knee replacement joints using HIPIMS - A. A. Sugumaran (2014).
- High Temperature Resistant Nanocomposite Coatings based on (Cr, Ti)AlSiN - C. Wüstefeld, University of Freiberg, Germany, 2016.
- High power impulse magnetron sputtering (HIPIMS) : fundamental plasma studies and material synthesis - A. Hecimovic, 2009.
- CrAIN-based nanoscale multilayer coatings dedicated to wear and oxidation protection - C. Reinhard, 2007.
- Upscaling and implementation of high power impulse magnetron sputtering technology for the deposition of hard coatings. - J. Böhlmark, University of Linköping, Sweden, 2006.