Dr David Clegg joined Sheffield Hallam University in 2001 as a lecturer. He is currently a Programme leader for the Mechanical, Materials and Design Engineering Programme area, overseeing the design, development and delivery of both under and post graduate accredited courses, both on site and at our partner colleges. David's research interests are in improving supply chains and operational efficiency using discrete-event simulation, lean and Six Sigma Techniques.
David has a BEng (Hons) and PhD from Sheffield Hallam University. Upon completing his PhD in modelling and simulation, he joined Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC) to develop simulation models for BAE SYSTEMS. Numerous successful projects followed, including the assessment of long bed machining capability, determining the capacity of a runway and the associated taxi/wait times and the transfer of a Boeing aviation manufacturing facility from Salmesbury to Prestwick. In addition a 3D animation of the Joint Strike Fighter assembly was developed to assist in the visualisation of the proposed production process. On returning to Sheffield Hallam University, various consultancy projects have been successfully completed for Siemens Industrial Power Generation, CHEP (a BRAMBLES COMPANY), JRI (Joint Replacements Instrumentation) Ltd and Firth Rixson. To ensure continued industrially relevant experience David sought and was awarded a Royal Academy of Engineering secondment to gain an increased understanding of how Lean is implemented within the National Health Service (NHS). As a result of this opportunity numerous successful projects have been completed both by himself and his students. In 2014 his was awarded University Inspirational Research supervisor of the year. He is also an external examiner for an Engineering programme at the University of Derby and the Cambridge Access Validating Agency. Additionally he has acted as an external panel member for the validation of several degree courses.
He has memberships of both the HEA and IMechE.
Programme Leader, Link Tutor (JCB Academy), Principle Lecturer, Director of Studies (Research) and consultant.
Specialist areas of interest:
- Discrete-event simulation;
- Lean and 6 sigma techniques.
Department of Engineering and Mathematics
Science, Technology and Arts
Subject Area/Group: Mechanical, Materials and Design Engineering Subject Group
David leads and delivers all of the following modules:
- Lean and 6 sigma, L7;
- Design simulation and operation of manufacturing systems, L5;
- Materials and Manufacturing Processes, L4;
- Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, L4;
- Business and Project Management, L4.
- Materials and Engineering Research Institute
- Proposing a constructivist approach to understanding adaptations required to develop logistical infrastructure to support increased digital commerce.
AKUGIZIBWE, Alex M. and CLEGG, David (2014). Lean implementation : an evaluation from the implementers’ perspective. International Journal of Lean Enterprise Research, 1 (2), 132-161.
- Tim Parker. A constructivist approach to understanding adaptations required to develop logistical infrastructure to support increased digital commerce.
- Saman Yapa. A structured approach to rapid simulation model development.
Share this page
Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?