Dr Feroz Kabir Kazi is a Chemical Engineer who joined Sheffield Hallam University in January 2016 as a senior lecturer of Chemical Engineering Program. He has 20 years of academic and industrial experience working at leading universities and industries globally. His research interest is in biomass pre-treatment, conversions, upgrading, solar PV and processes developments and techno-economic analysis of novel and pioneer plants, and secured several international research and consultancy grants. Feroz teaches a number of core chemical engineering modules including chemical process principles, reaction kinetics, reactor design, advanced reaction engineering and plant design to undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Dr Feroz Kabir Kazi obtained his BSc and MSc on Chemical Engineering from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka in 1988 and 1990 respectively. Feroz moved to Canada in 1992 where he completed his PhD in 1996 in biomass pre-treatment, conversions and upgrading process development.
After obtaining his PhD from the University of Sherbrooke, he spent nearly 20 years working at Iowa State University, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, BearingPoint, NIKO Resources, Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Toronto, University of New Brunswick and Zia Fertilizer Co Ltd as a visiting scientist, associate and assistant professor, consultant, research fellow, postdoctoral fellow and process engineer. He spent 5 years consulting oil and gas companies, engaged in knowledge and technology transfer to SMEs on process optimisation, waste minimisation, and waste management.
Dr Kabir is a member of professional bodies including Institute of Chemical Engineers (IChemE), the Institution Engineering and Technology (IET), the Higher Education Academy (HEA), Institute of Engineers Bangladesh (IEB), and Bangladesh Association for the Advancement of Science (BAAS). He published/wrote nearly 60 journal/conference articles and project reports. He is a reviewer for a number of international journals and research funding agency.
- Top Cited Article Award (2011-2012) by Elsevier at AIChE Annual Meeting, November 16-21, 2014, Atlanta, USA
- Astonishing Academic Award for most engaged academic, Aston University, 2015
- Quebec provincial scholarship for higher education 1994
- Member, Institution Engineering and Technology, IET, UK
- Associate Member, Institute of Chemical Engineers, IChemE, UK
- Fellow, The Higher Education Academy, UK
- Life Fellow, Institute of Engineers Bangladesh, Bangladesh
- Life Member, Bangladesh Association for the Advancement of Science (BAAS), Bangladesh
- Life Member, Chemical Engineers Alumni Association, BUET, Bangladesh
Specialist areas of interest
- Biomass (lignocellulosic and waste) characterization and pre-treatment
- Biomass fractionation (via aqueous and supercritical fluid processing) into its constituents and subsequent separation and upgrading to fine chemicals, fibres and by-products
- Bio-fuel and platform molecules production via integrated pre-treatment and catalytic thermo-chemical conversions: pyrolysis and gasification
- Recovery of valuable ingredients from food waste
- Treatment of industrial wastewater
- Techno-economic studies of pioneer (unproven) chemical processes, and analysis of the impact of new technologies on project cost escalation and profitability
- Solar PV electroplating technology
Industrial Collaborative Engineering
Chemical Process Principles
Chemical Reaction Engineering & Thermodynamics
Advanced reaction Engineering
Plant Design and Commissioning group Project
Professional Engineering Practice
Food Engineering ALS and Guest lecture
Establishing a base case for industrial biojet fuel production through microalgae autotrophic culture in Malaysia (a technoeconomic studies). Sponsor: Airbus Group and Aerospace Malaysia Innovation Centre. 2013-2017 (project active at University of Nottingham in Malaysia Campus.
Development of a process to upgrade bio-oil (from lignocellulosic biomass) to cooking and heating fuel. Sponsor: Crops for the Future Research Centre. 2013-2017 (project active at University of Nottingham in Malaysia Campus).
Collaborators and sponsors
- University of Nottingham in Malaysia Campus (UNMC)
- Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP), Malaysia
- Airbus Group
- Aerospace Malaysia Innovation Centre (AMIC)
- Crops for the Future Research Centre (CFFRC), Malaysia
- Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI), Malaysia
- Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Malaysia
External examiner, International Islamic University, Malaysia