I am a Principal Lecturer within the Department of Management at Sheffield Business School. I joined the University in early 2012 after over 20 years as a leader in the commercial and not for profit sectors.
Much of my professional experience is as a management consultant where I have advised hundreds of organisations from new start high growth SME's to multinationals such as EDF Energy, IMI PLC and Corus PLC. My consultancy experience focused on strategy and enterprise along with leadership and management development. I continue this work within my role at SBS working with our business clients such as Nestle, SIG PLC and the Post Office. I also provide executive coaching services to our corporate clients and am an accredited psychometrician for the ECR leadership assessment and development tool. My leadership experience includes roles such as Head of Departmental within a medium sized management consultancy, I am also the founder and former CEO of 'SFEDI Awards', the UK's Awarding Organisation for professional qualifications in business support and enterprise. I have also established and lead my own consultancy business The Rubicon Partnership.
Within the non for profit sector I have held management positions with charities such as The Princes Trust and Raleigh International and have provided consultancy to a number of humanitarian aid organisations in Europe and Asia (e.g. Nobel Prize recipients Handicap International).
My teaching is in business management focusing on strategy, enterprise, entrepreneurship, ethics, innovation and creativity. As well as providing traditional approaches in learning and development I have developed and delivered a range of experiential learning interventions and am a qualified instructor of climbing, mountaineering, kayaking and ski-ing.
My current doctoral research is in the field of Responsible Leadership.
- 2016: Post Graduate Certificate - Research, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2013: Post Graduate Certificate in Education, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2007: Master of Business Administration, Strategic Management, Heriot-Watt University, United Kingdom
- 2003: Professional Qualification, Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM), United Kingdom
- 2000: NLP Practitioner Certificate, Other, United Kingdom
- 1999: RSA Assessors Award (D32/33), Other, United Kingdom
- 1996: Diploma in Outdoor Education, City & Guilds of London Institute (C&G), United Kingdom
Department of Management
Sheffield Business School
Ellis, M. (2017). Responsible Leadership in SME’s.
Ellis, M. (2016). Researching Responsible Leadership in Action.
Ellis, M. (2010). Why enterprise must be seen as a qualified professional career.