During the years I have been at Sheffield Hallam University I have gained extensive experience of module and course management at both undergraduate and post-graduate level within a sports context. I have also undertaken additional roles such as Collaborative Course Leader and Student Support Officer, which have given me an excellent understanding of course standards, course quality aligned to the academic and learning infrastructure, partnership coordination, and undertaking moderation activities. My knowledge has permitted me to be at the forefront of the validation and accreditation of undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
As a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA), an active member of the Association for Event Management education (AEME) and with a number of years experience working on a variety of events here at Sheffield Hallam University, I continue to work closely with industry and the professional bodies in developing the undergraduate Event Management programmes offered at Sheffield Business School. My current teaching responsibilities span all levels in both the undergraduate and postgraduate Event Management courses and include modules on themes such as International Event Management, Business Analysis (includes both financial and management accounting), Event Planning and Project Management, Strategic Management for Events as well as UG and PG research dissertation project supervision.
As a previous Course Administrator have also given me a comprehensive knowledge of undergraduate and postgraduate assessment regulations, including progression, awards and fall-back awards, re-registration, the Board process, the results process, the Academic Conduct and panels process, the Extenuating Circumstances process, and more recently the impact on programmes of study due to restrictions by the Tier 4 Immigration regulations (e.g. non-engagement, breaks in study, multiple failures, returning home to complete dissertations). I was also the process led responsible for organising the university’s open days, enrolment and induction events.
As a Collaborative Course Leader, I understand the complexities of designing new courses and the re-validation of existing courses that adhere to University's Academic and Regulatory Frameworks, operate within the QAA’s framework and meet specific subject benchmarks. By sitting on several panels I understand the relevance and importance of how course design will allow students to achieve skills, knowledge and understanding that will enhance their career aspirations. I was also a member of the SBS International top up validation group since I did have lots of international students on the courses I supported. I supported the programme and course leaders and the link tutor through the process, ensuring a quality outcome within the QSME framework.
I am heavily involved in the re-development of the Foundation Degree provision at the college to meet student employment needs to compete in the graduate jobs market. This involved the complete re-designing and re-writing of the course, all the modules and assessments. For this process I led on developing and writing a number of new modules.
I have also gained International Lecturing Experience in Hong Kong for the past four years and this year in Denmark. I am currently the module leader for one of the modules we provide in Hong Kong.
- 2016 to 2020: Doctor of Philosophy, Operations, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2014: Post Graduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2001: MSc Information Management, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom
- 1996: BSc Agricultural Science, University of Ghana, Ghana
CPD/ Attendance at annual conferences
- 2016: Fellow of Higher Education Academy (HEA), Higher Education Academy (HEA)
Member of professional body
- 2016: Member of Association for Event Management Education (AEME), Association for Event Management Education (AEME), United Kingdom
- 2016: Member of the European Operations Management Association, European Operations Management Association, United Kingdom
Senior Lecturer - Events Management
- Module Leader - Operations Management, Applied Events Operations and Management Accounting. Module tutor - Business Analytics, Financial Accounting, Delivering Successful Business Events, Academic and Professional Skills, Business Environment , UG Project,
- Business Analysis
- Contemporary Business Environment
- Financial and Management Accounting
- Operations Management in Events
- Project Management
- Research methods
- Service Sector Management
Department of Service Sector Management
Sheffield Business School
Nyarko, N. (2015). Integrated Business Modelling and Services Innovations in Event Management: The Ghanaian Experience.
Nyarko, N. (2014). Key Operational Issues and Challenges of Event Planners in Ghana - A Preliminary Analysis.
Nyarko, N. (2016). Party Limited, Management Accounting -Cash budgeting/Cash Management.
Nyarko, N. (2016). Seven Hills Hotel-Rome, Operational Management Concerns.
- 2014: Collaborative Course Leader -Sheffield College, Sheffield College, United Kingdom
- 2016: International Teaching Exchange Lecturer, Dania Academy of Higher Education, Denmark