I studied Tourism Management at undergraduate level and worked for a major tour operator in South Korea before I came to the UK. I completed both an MSc in Sustainable Tourism and a PhD titled 'Tourism-related urban regeneration in two UK city regions' at Sheffield Business School (SBS), Sheffield Hallam University. I started to teach tourism for SBS in 2008 as an Associate Lecturer and joined the SBS Tourism Team as a full time lecturer in 2012. I am the Subject Group Leader for Tourism. My teaching and research interests lie with tourism and urban regeneration, the visitor economy, tourism policy and planning, and accessible tourism.
- 2012: PhD Tourism-Related Urban Regeneration in Two UK City Regions, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2011: M.Res in Business - 'A Critical Realist Approach in Studying Tourism-Related Urban Regeneration', Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2005: BBA in Tourism Management / Bachelor in Tourism English Interpretation, Other, United Kingdom
CPD/ Attendance at annual conferences
- 2017: , Universitat de Girona, Spain
- 2017: , Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
Member of professional body
- 2014: , Higher Education Academy (HEA), United Kingdom
Sheffield Business School
2012 to 2015: Contemporary Business Environment, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
2012 to 2016: Tourism Field Visit, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
2012 to 2016: Tourism Policy & Planning, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
Schofield, P., Coromina, L., Camprubi, R., & Kim, S. (2020). An Analysis of First Time and Repeat-Visitor Destination Images through the Prism of the Three Factor Theory of Consumer Satisfaction. Journal of Destination Marketing and Management, 17, 100463. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdmm.2020.100463
Kim, S. (2020). Inter-municipal relations in city-region governance. Cities, 104, 102771. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2020.102771
Kim, S., & Bramwell, B. (2019). Boundaries and boundary crossing in tourism: A study of policy work for tourism and urban regeneration. Tourism Management, 75, 78-89. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2019.04.019
Winter, T., Kim, S.Y., & Palmer, N. (2021). Where is 'the poor' in pro-poor VCA? - A review of applying pro-poor VCA in a coastal tourism destination in the Northeast of Brazil. In The Future of Inclusive Tourism. Channel View Publications Ltd
Theses / Dissertations
Winter, T. (2019). Poverty and Inequality:Exploring the Role of Tourismin Brazil's Northeast. (Doctoral thesis). Supervised by Kim, S. http://doi.org/10.7190/shu-thesis-00234
Kim, S.Y., & Adu-Ampong, E. (2019). Assessing accessible tourism research. Presented at: ATLAS Annual Conference, Girona, Spain
Kim, S.Y. (2016). Raising students' awareness of Accessible Tourism in the learning experience.
Kim, S.Y. (2012). Resource dependency and power relations in tourism-related urban regeneration.
Kim, S.Y. (2012). Tourism and Urban Regeneration: Separate or Integrated Policy Fields, Actors and Networks.
Competitve Research Award
- 2015: Accent Gastronomy, European Commission, Belgium
HEA fellow or senior fellow
- 2014: Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA), Higher Education Academy (HEA), United Kingdom
- 2015:Director of Studies (2 students)