Healthcare assistant practitioner
Level 5 higher apprenticeship
Gain a foundation degree while working in a relevant health, social or community care role, helping you to advance your career in primary or secondary care
About the apprenticeship
Course length: 2 years, part-time
Start date: September and January, depending on location
Course level: Level 5
University award: FdSc Professional Practice in Health and Social Care
How much it costs: funded through the employer
- Gain health and social care knowledge and apply your learning in the workplace.
- Use new technologies to undertake screening, diagnosis and care responsibilities.
- Develop the skills and competencies you need for NHS band 3 and 4 roles.
This apprenticeship has been developed in collaboration with our college partners and hospital trusts, private healthcare providers and voluntary sector organisations. The course is suitable for new recruits to the industry and school leavers, as well as for existing assistant and support workers in health, social or community care who don’t yet have a relevant degree.
This course meets the health care assistant practitioner apprenticeship standard.
How you learn
The course includes a combination of work-based learning modules and specialist education.
You’ll learn through:
- typically one day a week at college
- work-based learning
- assessments of practice
- reflective portfolios
- written assignments
- literature reviews
- an end-point assessment
You will progress through the course following successful achievement of assessments, which address the learning outcomes for each module and allow you to complete the course.
Assessments will test the attributes you need in the workplace, enabling you to make the most of academic learning and on-the-job training.
You'll study at one of our partner colleges in Barnsley, Chesterfield, Doncaster, Rotherham, Scunthorpe, Sheffield and Worksop.
Throughout the course, apprentices spend at least 20% of their working hours at college. They can be existing employees looking to develop their careers, or new applicants to the business.
- be over 18
- not be in full time education
- have the right to abode in the UK
- meet the course entry requirements
GCSE (or equivalent)
Maths and English at level 2 or above (grade 4, or previously C) or equivalents such as:
- level 2 adult numeracy/literacy
- level 2 key skills/application of number
- equivalency test from www.equivalencytesting.co.uk
UCAS points and college grades
One of the following:
- 48 UCAS points (can include general studies)
- Access to HE Diploma from a QAA recognised Access to HE course
Your understanding of health and social care and the profession is assessed throughout the selection event processes. We will also consider you if you have alternative qualifications or a combination of qualifications and work experience
The programme adopts a blended learning approach with modules delivered through a combination of lectures, class-based seminars, practical work and site visits.
Throughout the course, you will study:
- Reflective and personal development skills
- Essential sciences for person-centred care
- Integrated holistic assessment, delivery and implementation of health and social care interventions
- Work-based learning 1
- Promoting health, wellbeing and independence
- Using and evaluating evidence to inform practice
- Leadership and management
- Work-based learning 2
- End-point assessment
Module and assessment information for future years is displayed as currently validated and may be liable to change.
If you are an applicant
To apply for this apprenticeship, you must first have a suitable employer who can support your application. We can support you to encourage your employer to offer an apprenticeship. You will then apply for the course through them.
If you don’t currently have a job, we can help you find an apprenticeship.
If you are an employer
If you want to offer an apprenticeship for an existing employee or a new recruit, get in touch.
If you have 15 or more potential apprentices, we can tailor the programme to your business.
This course is delivered by Sheffield Hallam as part of the South Yorkshire Institute of Technology