We have a strong research profile in English, history and film, and we're developing new work in performance.
In the most recent Research Exercise (2014), 94% of our English research and 97% of our history research was judged to be internationally recognised, excellent or world-leading.
Our film research was part of the Communication, Cultural and Media Studies unit, in which 83% of research was rated in these categories.
In English we specialise in researching:
- creative writing
- digital humanities
- language and linguistics
- renaissance literature
- literature from the eighteenth century to the present
Our history research has strengths in:
- imperial and transnational history
- economic history
- gender history
- European history
- British popular politics, 1790 to present
Our research in film focuses on:
- Hollywood and British cinema history
- adaptation studies
- the horror film
- contemporary East Asian cinemas
We're growing our performance research, particularly by working on practical projects with other areas. We're currently working with:
- the College of Health, Wellbeing and Life Sciences and surgeons at Royal Hallamshire Hospital
- NHS Rotherham
- the Centre for Health and Social Care Research
- the Biomedical Science Research Centre
All of this research feeds into our teaching, providing you with the latest thinking in your area. We also have opportunities gain qualifications including MA, MRes, MPhil and PhD in these research areas.