Cross-curricular language learning: Putting CLIL into practice
This conference welcomes researchers, teachers and trainee teachers and teacher educators interested in using cross curricular language learning techniques to increase motivation, confidence and attainment.
Click here for more information and to register your place.
If you would like to submit a paper for the conference further information can be found here (DOCX, 93KB), along with a submission form.
Download a programme for the event with keynote speaker biographies (DOCX, 391.1KB).
- The impact of CLIL and immersion techniques on pupils’ motivation and progress;
- CLIL pedagogy in EAL contexts
- Practical ideas for increasing cognitive challenge, motivation and engagement in the primary and secondary classroom
- How cross curricular learning can support pupils who will take England’s new language exams
- What we can learn from other countries
Keynote speakers to date
- Professor Do Coyle, University of Edinburgh
- Associate Professor Russell Cross, University of Melbourne
- Dr Kim Bower, Sheffield Hallam University
- Dr Yvonne Foley, The University of Edinburgh, EAL and CLIL pedagogy
Presentations and discussions of
- CLIL’s development in Anglophone countries
- Approaches to immersion
- CLIL approaches to EAL, ESP and TESOL
- Transition KS2-3
- Optimal cognitive challenge
- Making classroom language real language
- Age relevant content
- Intercultural awareness
Sessions will cover
- Main talks/workshops led by practitioners from successful CLIL and immersion projects including Bordesley Green Girls' School & Sixth Form
- Show and tell from language teachers
- Primary and secondary workshops by practitioners