Study with us
Undergraduate law courses
Our law courses include single and joint awards with criminology.
- Our undergraduate law courses are all qualifying law degrees and cover the academic stage of legal training required by the Bar Council and the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
- We cover theoretical and practical aspects of law with a strong focus on clinical legal education and the skills required to enter the world of work.
- SHU Law offers the opportunity to work with experienced and specialist solicitors on real cases in areas of personal injury, small claims, prison clinic, criminal appeals, commercial disputes and employment law in a real unique regulated environment.
- HKC Law Clinic and HKC criminal appeals we offer the opportunity to work with live clients on work based modules within SHU Law such as the law clinic, criminal appeals, prison clinic and Streetlaw. Read about our live client work.
- HKC Refugee Rights Hub trains undergraduate and postgraduate students to work alongside qualified OISC registered immigration and asylum specialists helping refugees navigate the complex processes and procedures for making refugee family reunification applications. To date the clinic has successfully reunited 120 families!
- Guest lectures take place from some of the finest legal minds in the country.
- We have a state of the art moot court where students can learn legal debating skills and have a record of success in mooting competitions.
Undergraduate criminology courses
Our criminology courses include single and joint awards with sociology, psychology and law.
- We cover a range of key contemporary debates including explanations for offending behaviour and responsibilities and responses of the criminal justice sector.
- Students can specialise in areas including policing, youth justice, violent crime and mentally disordered offenders.
- We offer modules which include placements and activities which mirror the real world of criminology such as crime scene investigations.
- Students can become involved in the Criminology Student Society@HKC.
- Our expertise in criminology teaching is also informed by our Ministry of Justice contract to train all the probation officers across the Yorkshire and Humberside region.
- We have strong links with local, regional and national agencies in the criminal justice sector, including statutory, voluntary and private agencies.
We offer postgraduate study in a number of our areas of expertise including human rights, sports law, legal professional practice and criminology.
We partner with a wide range of legal and criminal justice organisations, which offer placements and volunteering opportunities to students.