As a leading applied University, we aim to share the findings of our research widely - to benefit our own students through teaching and their own research, to contribute to growth and sustainable development within our region, and to support our professional sectors nationally and internationally. We undertake seminars and workshops, professional events and conferences, alongside public lectures and departmental publications.
Research seminar series
Our departmental seminar series provides a platform for research candidates and academic staff to present their work in progress. Seminars are also attended by undergraduate and postgraduate students, which provides the opportunity for research to contribute to the learning experience.
Recent seminar examples
- Evaluation of the Major Development Test in English and Welsh National Parks.
- Architectural Design for Health and Wellbeing.
- Repertoires of Resistance: The Counter Housing Narratives of Beijing Residents in Mao's China.
- Design and use of Timber Grid Shells.
- Causes of land degradation in the semi-arid climate of east Libya.
- Bangkok's Mass-Transit Rail System: Gentrification, Displacement and Housing Preferences.
- Urban Transformations in 1970s - Revisiting Rodrigo Perez D'Arce's Perspectives.
- The Potential of Fibre Optic Daylighting for Interior Illumination in Tropical Climate.
- Housing Affordability of Malaysian Family Students in Sheffield, England.
- A Bath is Not a Boat: Reinventing Environmental Design in Architecture.
- Beyond the Academy: Collaboration, Housing Pathways and the Irish Community in Leicester and Sheffield.
- Building Information Modelling - The Essential Guide.
- The Rise and Fall of Sheffield's Lower Don Valley.
Natural and Built Environment Research Transactions
These publication provides the opportunity for students and staff to present research findings from current projects and share in our research culture. Several special editions have also been produced on industrial-based research with our collaborating organisations.
College research conference
The annual conference provides the opportunity for research candidates and academic staff to disseminate research from across the college. In addition to the presentation sessions, there are opportunities for networking and sharing research ideas.
Our department also produces an annual review of its research and scholarship activities.