Research and commercial services
We are home to the Sport and Physical Activity Research Centre, which encompasses four internationally renowned research groups:
- Physical Activity, Wellbeing & Public Health
- Sport & Human Performance
- Sport Industry
- Sports Engineering
Our dedicated team of researchers provide market-leading applied research and commercial services to a wide range of clients in the UK and internationally. Our client base includes:
- Government departments (e.g. Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport)
- Public bodies (e.g. UK Sport and all four home nation Sports Councils)
- Governing bodies of sport (e.g. FIFA, the International Tennis Federation and The R&A)
- Commercial organisations (e.g. Adidas and Decathlon)
- Organisers of major sporting events (e.g. All England Lawn Tennis Club and Ryder Cup Europe)
The real-world impacts of our research are rated as world leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*) in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF2021) assessment. We are ranked fourth in the UK for research power.
Within the University, our research offer is aligned with the remit of the Health Research Institute and we work closely with the Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre.