Since joining the university in 2009, Abhishek has delivered 45 industrial projects of energy research, knowledge transfer and consultancy, winning external funding of £2 Million. He has developed 5 commercial software packages and is the inventor of 4 patents.
Abhishek leads 3 courses - BEng Energy Engineering, BEng Chemical Engineering and MEng Chemical Engineering.
He is also the Deputy Director of the Doctoral Training Alliance in Energy formed by 19 British Universities in the University Alliance.
Abhishek is also the Director of Hallam Energy. He is part of a multidisciplinary team with a wide range of engineering knowledge supporting industry through initiatives such the Energy Saving Opportunity Scheme and the Industrial Heat Recovery Scheme.
Abhishek has won many awards and honours including
- Industry Representative and Global Ambassador of the Institution of Engineering Technology (IET) since 2014
- College Course Awards for leading the BEng Energy Engineering Course to more than 90% student satisfaction in the NSS, every year from 2011 to 2015
- Nomination to Inspirational Teacher Award in a student nominated scheme every year from 2012 to 2016
- Contribution Pay Award with a double salary increment for outstanding contribution to the university's objectives
- Allocation de Recherche, a stipend of € 75,000 and university fee for PhD from the Ministry of Education, Research and Technology of France, 2004 to 2007
- Eiffel Scholarship, a stipend of € 34,000 and university fee from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of France, 2002 to 2004
- Best PhD Student Poster, an award of €250 from the French Society of Chemical Engineering (SFGP)
- Best Student Business Idea, prize air tickets to Hong Kong and Singapore from United Airlines in a technical competition, 2001
His areas of interest are:
- Energy from waste and incineration
- Power generation
- Refrigeration and air conditioning
- Biomass and bio energy
- Combustion, gasification and pyrolysis
- Pollution abatement in air, water and soil
- Oil and gas
- Nuclear energy
- Wind and hydro energy
- Energy efficiency and recovery
- Process simulation and optimisation
Department of Engineering and Mathematics
Business, Technology and Enterprise
Abhishek started teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students in 2004 as an Associate Lecturer at Université de Lorraine (Nancy, France), in 2007 at the University of Sheffield and in 2009 at Sheffield Hallam University. At Sheffield Hallam, Abhishek has developed, delivered and led 19 modules and 4 new courses using his experience in industry and consultancy. He is currently the course leader for 3 engineering courses including the award winning Energy Engineering course. He has supervised 61 MSc dissertations and 37 BEng final year projects. Three of his current modules have been rated the best modules on the entire course by postgraduate and undergraduate students.
New Courses Developed
- BEng Energy Engineering (Currently the Course Leader).
This has been one of the most popular courses in the college, achieving more than 90% satisfaction ratings from students and winning the college course award every year from 2011 to 2015.
- MEng Chemical Engineering and BEng Chemical Engineering (Currently the Course Leader for both).
These courses have recruited 39 students in their very first year and are heading to become a core business area for the Department of Engineering and Mathematics in the near future.
- MEng Food Engineering
This course was developed in partnership with the Food and Drink Federation (FDF), the National Skills Academy (NSA) and a number of industrial partners from the Food industry.
Modules Developed and Delivered
- Sustainability Energy and Environmental Management (Level 7, all MSc Advanced Engineering Courses)
- Industrial Energy Management (Level 6, CEng and MEng Mechanical Engineering and BEng Energy Engineering)
- Nuclear Energy (Level 6, BEng Energy Engineering)
- Fossil Fuels and Sustainability (Level 5, BEng Energy Engineering)
- Mechanical Engineering 2 (Level 5, CEng and MEng Mechanical Engineering)
- Thermofluid Dynamics (Level 5, BEng Energy, CEng and MEng Mechanical Engineering)
- Renewable Energy and Sustainability (Level 6, BEng Energy Engineering)
- Mechanical Technology 2 (Level 4, IEng Mechanical Engineering)
- Mechanical Engineering in the Food Industry (Level 4, MEng Food Engineering)
- Maths & Engineering Science (Level 4, BEng Railway Engineering)
- Thermofluid Dynamics for Food Engineering (Level 5, MEng Food Engineering)
- Chemical Engineering Practice (Level 4, MEng and BEng Chemical Engineering)
- Introduction to Transport Phenomena (Level 4, MEng and BEng Chemical Engineering)
- Transport Phenomena (Level 5, MEng and BEng Chemical Engineering)
- Chemical Reaction Engineering and Thermodynamics (Level 5, MEng and BEng Chemical Engineering)
- Unit Operations in Chemical Engineering (Level 5, MEng and BEng Chemical Engineering)
- Reactor Design (Level 6, MEng and BEng Chemical Engineering)
- Design and Commissioning Group Project (Level 6, MEng and BEng Chemical Engineering)
- Advanced Reactor Engineering (Level 7, MEng Chemical Engineering)
- Materials and Engineering Research Institute
Since joining Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) in 2009 Abhishek has won external funding of £2 million total, has led 45 industrial projects of research, knowledge transfer and consultancy, developed 5 commercial software packages, is the author of 19 journal and conference papers and the inventor of 4 patents. In 2009, Abhishek co-founded Hallam Energy, a new consultancy venture in the Materials and Engineering Research Institute (MERI) and now leads the group as its Deputy Director.
Summary of External Income Generation
- £1,215,000 from 3 research projects funded by Innovate UK and the Government of India.
- £252,000 from 36 consultancy projects funded by EU and UK industry, local authorities, Innovate UK and Business Link.
- £305,000 from 3 knowledge transfer partnerships (KTP) funded by Innovate UK.
- £144,000 from 3 sponsored PhD projects funded by the Governments of Nigeria, Libya and Iraq.
- Waste heat recovery from Nestle's KitKat ovens (2015-17). Funded by Innovate UK, £819,000.
- Refrigerant-based plate heat exchanger design for commercial kitchens with Dext Heat Recovery, William Jackson Food Group, DCI Refrigeration. Funded by Innovate UK, £451,000.
- Feasibility study of generating Energy from Municipal Solid Waste in New Delhi (2015-16). Funded by the Government of India, INR 1.5 million.
Collaborators and Sponsors
- Delhi Metro Rail Corporation
- National Oil Corporation (NOC) of Libya, Innovate UK
- Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
- Spirax Sarco
- Dext Heat Recovery
- William Jackson Food Group
- Cytec Speciality Chemicals
- Mitchells & Butlers
- BS Stainless
- Group Rhodes
- Matrix Energy Systems
- Sretlaw Innovations
- PurpleCow FMCG
- Beatson Clark
- Burntwood Sports
- Craftsman Tools
- Danfoss Heat Pumps
- Federal Mogul
- F-Gen Power
- Fosters Bakery
- Newburgh Engineering
- T&T Vicars
- Rotary Engineering
- Stainless Steel Services
Parthiban, P., Gokulakrishnan, V., Goel, M., Asthana, A., & Das, A. (2019). Simultaneous adsorption and biodegradation of reactive dyes using jatropha deoiled cakes. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering, 8 (12), 3246-3250. http://doi.org/10.35940/ijitee.L3085.1081219
Asthana, A., Mukherjee, S., Mountney, S., & Griffiths, R. (2017). Experimental Validation of the Structural Integrity of Modular Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine Blades. Proceedings, 1 (7), 694. http://doi.org/10.3390/proceedings1070694
Mukherjee, S., & Asthana, A. (2017). Techno-economic feasibility of a hybrid power generation system for developing economies. Proceedings, 1 (7), 639. http://doi.org/10.3390/proceedings1070693
Mountney, S., Asthana, A., Mohammed, K., & Almond, M. (2016). A preliminary investigation of the reserve service continuum. Universia Business Review, 49, 116-131. https://ubr.universia.net/article/view/1724/investigacion-preliminar-continuo-servicios
Goel, M., Das, A., Ravikumar, K., & Asthana, A. (2014). A study on the enhancement of sonochemical degradation of eosin B using other advanced oxidation processes. Desalination and Water Treatment, 52 (34-36), 6770-6776. http://doi.org/10.1080/19443994.2013.822342
Asthana, A., & Wheeler, D.R. (2013). A polarizable reactive force field for water to enable molecular dynamics simulations of proton transport. The journal of chemical physics, 138 (17), 174502. http://doi.org/10.1063/1.4798457
Asthana, A., Falcoz, Q., Sessiecq, P., & Patisson, F. (2010). Modeling kinetics of Cd, Pb, and Zn vaporization during municipal solid waste bed incineration. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 49 (16), 7605-7609. http://doi.org/10.1021/ie100181x
Asthana, A., Ménard, Y., Sessiecq, P., & Patisson, F. (2010). Modeling on-grate MSW incineration with experimental validation in a batch incinerator. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 49 (16), 7597-7604. http://doi.org/10.1021/ie100175e
Mountney, S., Asthana, A., Mohammad, K., & Almond, M. (2015). Why would a service-based SME add manufacturing capability? In 4th International Conference in Business Servitization (ICBS 2015), Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Madrid, Spain, 19 November 2015 - 20 November 2015.
Ménard, Y., Asthana, A., Patisson, F., Sessiecq, P., & Ablitzer, D. (2008). Thermodynamic study of heavy metals behaviour during municipal waste incineration. Process safety and environmental protection, 84 (4), 290-296. http://doi.org/10.1205/psep.05166
Asthana, A., Ménard, Y., Sessiecq, P., Patisson, F., & Ablitzer, D. (2006). A 2-D mathematical model of on-grate municipal solid waste combustion. 2006 TMS Fall Extraction and Processing Division: Sohn International Symposium, 1, 465-474.