I am the PhD Programme Leader in the Sheffield Business School.
In 2018, I won the Council for Hospitaity Manaement Education (CHME)/Smith Travel Research (StR) Share Award for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (with Dr. Emma Martin).
I was awarded the The Institute of Hospitality Research Award for the best research paper (with co-authors Professor Hilary Murphy & Dr. Sanjay Nadkarni) at the European Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (EuroCHRIE) conference in 2014.
I am the the Regional Editor – Europe - Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology (JHTT). My research and teaching reflects my comprehensive practical experiecnce.
I teach in the areas of innovation, IT, sustainable tourism, operations management, hospitality and tourism. This is complemented by my research interests in sustainable development, ICT, innovation, operations management, corporate social responsibility, destination management, hospitality and tourism, consultancy, employability and how students' learn.
I have a sustained a record of research activity with over 30 publications in peer reviewed journal articles, books, book chapters, conference papers, book reviews and articles in the trade press. I also have extensive experience in PhD supervision, completions and examinations.
In addition to academic activities, I have a background in consultancy, working with government offices, destination management organisations (DMOs) and international, national and local businesses. Some of my career highlights include developing feasibility studies for DMOs, developing marketing communication material for the travel and tourism industry, conducting market research and analysis of worldwide trends in the hospitality and tourism industry and working on live tourism plans and projects and participating in their implementation in the Caribbean.
I have been invited as a guest speaker in Australia, Switzerland, Dubai, Botswana, Canada and Finland. I am frequently consulted as an external expert on grants for research funding, for validation of hospitality and tourism programmes, journal reviewing and is an external examiner at a number of UK universities. I am a member of the scientific review committees for the ENTER, CHME and EUROCHRIE conferences.
I have guest edited a special issue (with Prof. Andy Frew) of the Journal of Information Technology & Tourism on ICTs for sustainable tourism and ran workshops with the aim of building a research domain on ICT and sustainable tourism development.
- 2011: Post Graduate Certificate - Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2010: Doctor of Philosophy, Tourism Management, Queen Margaret University
- 2006: MSc Management (Human Resource Management), Other, United Kingdom
- 2000: BSc Tourism Management, Other, United Kingdom
Member of professional body
- 2013 to 2017: , European Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (EuroCHRIE), United Kingdom
- 2012 to 2018: , Institute of Hospitality , United Kingdom
- 2011: , Higher Education Academy (HEA), United Kingdom
- Service Sector Management
- Developing student projects
- Member of prof body
- Partnership development
- Working with Prof body
Department of Service Sector Management
Sheffield Business School
2015 to 2016: Hospitality Business Solutions, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
2011 to 2016: Managing Hospitality Resources, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
2009 to 2016: Understanding Hospitality Resources, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
2009 to 2011: Hospitality Service Excellence, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
2009 to 2016: Hospitality Concepts and Innovation, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
2009 to 2016: MSc Dissertations, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
Dodds, R., Ali, A., & Galaski, K. (2018). Mobilising Knowledge: Determining key elements for success and pitfalls in developing Community Based Tourism. Current Issues in Tourism, 21 (13), 1547-1568. http://doi.org/10.1080/13683500.2016.1150257
Herstein, R., Shaked, G., Eyal, G., Bergera, R., & Ali, A. (2018). The Role of Private Label Brands in Enhancing Service Satisfaction in the Hotel Industry: Comparing Luxury and Boutique Hotels. Services Marketing Quarterly, 39 (2), 140-155. http://doi.org/10.1080/15332969.2018.1437250
Ali, A., Murphy, H., & Nadkarni, S. (2018). Hospitality employers’ perceptions of technology for sustainable development: The implications for graduate employability. Tourism and Hospitality Research, 18 (2), 131-142. http://doi.org/10.1177/1467358416636929
Ali, A., Murphy, H., & Nadkarni, S. (2017). Sustainable development and hospitality education : employers’ perspectives on the relevance for graduate employability. Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism, 17 (3), 159-172. http://doi.org/10.1080/15313220.2017.1331782
Ali, A. (2016). Innovation and Tourism Destination Development. TOURISM PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT, 13 (1), 123-125. http://doi.org/10.1080/21568316.2015.1106772
Ali, A., & J. Frew, A. (2014). ICT and sustainable tourism development: an innovative perspective. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology, 5 (1), 2-16. http://doi.org/10.1108/JHTT-12-2012-0034
Ali, A., & Sharma, V. (2014). Can brand personality differentiate fast food restaurants? Research in Hospitality Management, 4 (1/2), 13-19.
Ali, A. (2014). Hospitality Students' Perceptions of Digital Tools for Learning and Sustainable Development. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education, 15.
Ali, A., & Frew, A.J. (2014). ICT for sustainable tourism: a challenging relationship? Information Technology & Tourism, 14 (4), 261-264. http://doi.org/10.1007/s40558-014-0020-x
Ali, A., & Frew, A.J. (2014). Technology innovation and applications in sustainable destination development. Information Technology & Tourism, 14 (4), 265-290. http://doi.org/10.1007/s40558-014-0015-7
Ali, A., & Frew, A. (2010). ICT - A sustainable approach to sustainable tourism development. Journal of Hospitality Application and Research, 5 (2), 28-58. http://www.bitmesra.ac.in/johar/index.html
Tomasella, B., & Ali, A. (n.d.). The importance of personal values and hospitableness in small foodservice businesses’ social responsibility. Hospitality and Society.
Tomasella, B., & Ali, A. (2018). Hospitableness: driving Social Responsibility (SR) in independent restaurants. In The INC 2018: Tourism, Hospitality & Events in a Changing World, Derby, UK, 26 June 2018 - 28 June 2018 (pp. 87-89). The INC: https://theconference2018.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/the-inc-2018-proceedings1.pdf
Ali, A. (2015). Theoretical perspectives on destination image. In Bricker, K., & Donohoe, H. (Eds.) The demystifying theories in tourism. (pp. 104-117). Wallingford, Oxfordshire: CABI
Eastham, J., & Ali, A. (2013). Procurement in hospitality. In Wood, R.C. (Ed.) Key concepts in hospitality management. (pp. 135-139). London: Sage: https://uk.sagepub.com/en-gb/eur/key-concepts-in-hospitality-management/book236094#description
Ali, A., & Carson, D. (2011). Information and communications technology (ICT) and the challenge of sustainable self-drive tourism. In Prideaux, B., & Carson, D. (Eds.) Drive tourism : trends and emerging markets. (pp. 124-145). London: Routledge
Ali, A., & Frew, A.J. (2010). ICT and its Role in Sustainable Tourism Development. (pp. 479-+). http://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-211-99407-8_40
Ali, A., & Hull, J. (Eds.). (2018). Multi-stakeholder Perspectives of the Tourism Experience. Peter Lang. https://www.peterlang.com/abstract/title/67791?rskey=amqed4&result=2
Ali, A., & Frew, A.J. (2013). Information and communication technologies for sustainable tourism. Routledge.
Theses / Dissertations
Busoi, G. (2017). An investigation into the influences of emotional labour of holiday representatives. (Doctoral thesis). Supervised by Ali, A. http://doi.org/10.7190/shu-thesis-00093
Graham, D. (2015). The chef as an emotional and aesthetic labourer; an employee in transition. (Doctoral thesis). Supervised by Ali, A., Martin, E., & Spencer, P.
Sadik, A. (n.d.). Emerging trends and influences in Ghanaian hospitality industry education and employability. (Doctoral thesis). Supervised by Ali, A. http://doi.org/10.7190/shu-thesis-00037
Busoi, G., & Ali, A. (2018). Organisational support as an influencer of emotional labour of holiday representatives. Presented at: CHME 2018 Research Conference, Bournemouth, 2018
Ali, A., Murphy, H., & Nadkarni, S. (2014). Hospitality students' perceptions of digital tools for learning and sustainable development. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhlste.2014.02.001
Ali, A. (2009). ICT and Sustainable Tourism Development: A Literature Review.
Ali, A. (2008). ICT for Sustainable Tourism Development - An Emergent Framework. Presented at: 2nd International Scientific Conference of the e-Business Forum: E-Business in Travel, Tourism and Hospitality
Tomasella, B., & Ali, A. (n.d.). A pluralistic framework for the analysis of corporate social responsibility and its application to small and medium enterprises. Presented at: Business Academy of Management Conference, Newcastle, UK, 2016
Tomasella, B., & Ali, A. (n.d.). Corporate Social Responsibility and digital communication in small independent restaurants. Presented at: 5th International Conference on Social Responsibility, Ethics and Sustainable Business, Bocconi University, Milan, Italy, 2016
Buosi, G., Ali, A., & Gardiner, K. (n.d.). The Contextual Antecedents of Emotional Labour of holiday representative: an Observational Study. Presented at: EuroCHRIE, Manchester, UK, 2015
Ali, A., & Sharkey, J. (n.d.). An Investigation into Determinants that Drive Product Innovation in Foodservice Equipment Manufacturers. Presented at: EuroCHRIE Conference, 2014
Nield, K., Sadik, A., & Ali, A. (n.d.). Ghanaian Hospitality Industry Education and Employability: Emerging Trends. Presented at: EuroCHRIE Conference, Dubai, UAE, 2014
Ali, A., Murphy, H., & Nadkarni, S. (n.d.). The Employer Perspective of Sustainability: Implications for Hospitality Education. Presented at: EuroCHRIE, 2014
Ali, A. (n.d.). What do Students Value from their Placements? Presented at: EuroCHRIE Conference, 2013
Ali, A., & Frew, J. (n.d.). Innovation, ICT and Sustainable Tourism Development. Presented at: International Society for Travel and Tourism Educators Conference (ISTTE), 2008
Ali, A., Murphy, H., & Nadkarni, S. (n.d.). Hospitality Students Perceptions of Digital Tools for Learning and Sustainable Development. Presented at: EuroCHRIE, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2012
Ali, A., & Murray, P. (n.d.). Learning in the workplace. Presented at: EuroCHRIE, Dublin, 2018
Chomitz, J., Ali, A., & John, H. (n.d.). Toxic Personalities and Resort Management: A Human Resource Perspective. Presented at: ICNT, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2018
Graham, D., & Ali, A. (2016). Hospitality Education Is Not One Size Fits All. Caterer Magazine
- 2018: CHME StR SHARE Award for Innovation in Teaching and Learning, Council for Hospitality Management Education (CHME), United Kingdom
Competitve Research Award
- 2018: Principal Investigator, Welcome to Yorkshire, The Value of Tourism to Yorkshire, Welcome To Yorkshire, United Kingdom
- 2017: Principal Investigator, Welcome to Yorkshire, The Value of Tourism to Yorkshire, Welcome To Yorkshire, United Kingdom
- 2015: Showcasing Sheffield's Social Science Research - Festival of Social Science, ESRC Festival of Social Science, United Kingdom
- 2015: Sheffield Business School Pedagogic Innovation Fund, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2015: ESRC Festival of Social Science, Sharing Sheffield Doctoral Research, ESRC Festival of Social Science, United Kingdom
- 2015: Co-investigator, The Moor Market, Sheffield First 1 Year of Trading Review for the Sheffield City Council, Sheffield City Council, United Kingdom
- 2014: Co-investigator, Impact of HS2 on Stoneleigh Park for ECUS Environmental Consultants, ECUS Consulting Ltd, United Kingdom
- 2014: Co-investigator, The Moor Market, Sheffield First 6 Months of Trading Review for the Sheffield City Council, Sheffield City Council, United Kingdom
- 2014: Hospitality Research Residential, Sheffield Business School, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2012: Developed and delivered Hotel Benchmarking Module for The Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management, The Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management, United Arab Emirates
- 2012: Hospitality Research Residential, Sheffield Business School, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2011: Co-investigator, ATTRACT, promoting meeting, discussion and co-operation among different stakeholders on accessible tourism, Leonardo da Vinci Partnership, Leonardo da Vinci Partnership, Belgium
- 2011: Co-investigator, ATTRACT, promoting meeting, discussion and co-operation among different stakeholders on accessible tourism, Leonardo da Vinci Partnership, The Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management, United Arab Emirates
- 2010: Delivered a workshop on Information Technology and Sustainable Tourism Development, funded by the International Federation for IT in Travel and Tourism and Queen Margaret University, International Federation for IT and Travel and Tourism (IFITT), United Kingdom
- 3 x PhD Supervision (3 students)