Ann is currently Head of the Department of Management at Sheffield Business School. In this role Ann leads an academic community of 100+ academics and manages a broad portfolio of activities, all focused on promoting excellence in business management education and research.
Ann has a wealth of leadership experience gained from both academic and commercial environments. She is passionate about the development of people and champions a number of initiatives to inspire others in their personal and professional development.
Ann’s subject expertise and research interest is in the contribution and relationship of HR strategy with business strategy and the impact on organisational performance. She has co-authored a number of text books on Organisations and Management and has published on Good Practice HRM. Her teaching areas include Strategic Management, Organisational Change and Strategic HRM which she delivers on postgraduate, undergraduate and professional programmes.
Ann has established relationship with various external partners. She is actively involved in working with Professional Bodies, including CIMA where she is a subject expert and previously has been a chief examiner. Ann works with the Institute of Financial Services and has advised on curriculum design. She is an External Examiner with a number of UK HEIs, currently with Loughborough University. She has been a member of an International Panel assessing the academic standing of Universities in Saudi Arabia, and been a panel member for International accreditation events. Ann maintains her connections with industry undertaking consultancy work, specialising in the design and implementation of HR strategy, policies and practices both for blue chip companies and SMEs.
Prior to joining Sheffield Hallam University Ann worked for over fifteen years in industry. The first part of her career was spent working for one of the major UK Banks, primarily in the fields of HRM and Marketing. She then joined a Research and Consultancy company, undertaking research for European Financial Service institutions.
- 1995: MA Human Resource Management, University of Leeds
- 1992: Diploma in Marketing (CMI), Other
- 1990: BA Business Studies, Other
- Doctorate of Business Administration, Strategic HRM, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
Learning and Development
- 2013: Quality Auditor for Saudi Arabia Government on Education Quality, Saudia Arabia Government, Saudi Arabia
CPD/ Attendance at annual conferences
- 2014: Fellow of HEA, Higher Education Academy (HEA)
Maintenance of professional recognition
- 2000: Subject expert and Chief Examiner for Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
PG External Examiner
- 2004: Chief Examiner - Business Management, Theory & Practice, Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA)
UG External Examiner
- 2013: External Examiner, Loughborough University
- 2002: External Examiner - Institute of Financial Services, University of Manchester
- 2002: External Examiner - BA Business Administration, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom
- 2002: External Examiner, Manchester Metropolitan University
Sheffield Business School
2000 to present: Module Leader on Strategic HRM modules and Dissertation Supervision on the MSc HRM Programme, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
2000 to present: Module Leader and Module Tutor - Module Leader on Strategic and Change Management modules and Dissertation Supervision on the MBA Programme, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
2000 to present: Module Leader and Module Tutor - Module Leader on Strategic HRM and Management Strategy and Change modules and Project Supervision on the BA Business Programme, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
Norton, P. (2014). Making and measuring 'good' HR practice in an SME: the case of a Yorkshire bakery. Employee Relations: The International Journal, 36 (2), 128-140.
Norton, P., & Doole, I. (2004). Wise Guys - Building the Sage Group. In Doole, I., & Lowe, R. (Eds.) Strategic Marketing Decisions in Global Markets. (1st). (pp. 342). Boston: Cengage Learning EMEA
Norton, P. (2012). Organisational Management in Financial Services. London: IFS (Institute of Financial Services).
Norton, P. (2012). Fundamentals of Leadership. London: IFS (Institute of Financial Services).
Norton, P. (2010). Enterprise Management CIMA Learning System. Boston: Elsevier Science.
Norton, P. (2008). Integrated Management CIMA Learning System. Elsevier Science.
Norton, P. (2005). Management and Organisation in Financial Services. ANE Books.
Norton, P. (1999). Management in the Financial Services Industry. Chartered Institute of Bankers, London.
Norton, P. (1999). Management in the Financial Services Industry: Thriving on Organisational Change. Bankers Books.
Norton, P. (2009). Good HR Practice in a Family-Owned SME - Can it make a Difference?
Norton, P. (2008). Does Being a 'Good' SME Employer add Value to the Business.
- 2000: Associate of the Chartered Institute of Bankers, Chartered Institute of Bankers (CIB)
- 2007 to 2010: Visiting Professeur, Audencia Grande Ecole, Nantes, International MBA , Audencia Grande Ecole, France