Ewen has extensive experience in the Hotel, Cruise and Restaurant sector. Managing food, beverage, and event operations both nationally and internationally within large branded operations, luxury hotels to small independent businesses.
He has recently joined Sheffield Hallam University after many years working for another UK institution and gained much experience in UG and PG programmes with Hospitality, Tourism, Events and Culinary Arts.
Having spent his career within the Hospitality Sector at operational levels and now within Hospitality and Tourism education. His professional background allows him to bring real world experiences into his teaching and learning whilst also offering valuable support to students.
He is currently exploring a PhD research into the use of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics within the role of Service Experiences in Hospitality.
• 2021 Msc. International Tourism Management. University of Derby, UK
• 2018 PGCE in Higher Education. University of Derby, UK
• 2017 B.A.(Hons.) International Hospitality Business Management. University of Derby, UK
Recognition by Regulatory Bodies:
• 2012 Member of the Institute of Hospitality
• 2018 Award as Fellowship of the HEA
• Hospitality Operations
• Digitisation in Hospitality
• Hotel and Resort Financials
• Venues and Facilities Design
• Food and Wine Tourism
• Event Operations
• 2021 External Examiner for BA (Hons) International Hospitality Management/ BA (Hons) International Hospitality and Events Management/ BA (Hons) International Hospitality and Tourism Management and Hospitality Field. Cardiff Metropolitan University.UK.
• 2021 External Examiner for BA (Hons) International Culinary Arts (IMI, Switzerland) Collaboration Partner. Manchester Metropolitan University.
• August 2019 – 2021. External Examiner for Principles of Food Preparation, FdA Business & Hospitality Management and FdA Business & Events Management. University of Salford Manchester.
Department of Service Sector Management
College of Business, Technology and Engineering
• MSc International Hospitality Management
• MSc International Hospitality and Tourism Management
• BSc (Hons) Tourism and Hospitality Business Management
• BSc International Hospitality Business Management
• Global Food Drink and Society (L4)
• Hotel Resort Outlet Management (L5)
• Strategic Hotel Resort Management (L7)
• Managing Food and Beverage Operations (L5)
• Restaurant and Venues design and sustainable development
• Operations and food and beverage management
• Neurogastronomy (the study of flavour perception and affects cognition and memory)
• Oenology (the science and study of wine and winemaking)
• Food trends, food waste, food security and sustainable sourcing
• Hospitality AI, Robotics, xR and Innovation
• Culinary and Wine tourism and destination development
• Food tourism and destination development
1. Crilley, E. and Michopoulou, E. (2022). Destination Marketing and Promotion: Attitudes of Local Food and Drink Producers. 2022 CHME Conference, Edinburgh
2. Crilley, E. (2022). An Exploration in Attitudes of Local Producers Towards the Impact of the use of Food and Drink in Destination Marketing and Promotion. A Case Study of Food and Drink Producers within the Peak District, Derbyshire. 2022 Gastronomy Summit, Belfast. https://www.ulster.ac.uk/gastronomysummit
3. Jones, C. and Crilley, E. (2021). '…but it’s just cooking dinner?’: Training and educating the professional chefs of the future: A pilot study. 2021 CHME Conference, Sheffield
4. Crilley, E (2019). A review of rubric use and design in developing assessment and feedback within hospitality education. 2019 CHME Conference, Greenwich.
5. Crilley, E, and Cseh, L. (2017). A preliminary investigation into the food service market, cooking, presentation methods and materials. Does it enhance the dining experience? 2017 CHME Conference, Aalborg.