Jaffer Idris (Jay) is a lecturer working in Events Management within the Sheffield Business School at Sheffield Hallam University. Jay maintains a strong academic profile, having taught several different business modules at both Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels as well as developing and running distance learning courses. Jay has over 15 years of professional industrial experience, having held several senior management positions in private, public and voluntary sector organisations. During his professional career he has worked and advised businesses in a number of areas including human resource management, business strategy, consultancy, and operations. He has also been a part of many think tanks and advisory boards including the Sheffield Equality & Race Council and the BME Governors Network. Jay holds a number of professional accreditations including the Chartered Membership which is one of the highest level of professional membership that can be awarded with the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). Jay is also a fellow of the Higher Education Academy in recognition to his contribution to higher education. As a practitioner and researcher, Jay is constantly looking at ways of innovating approaches to teaching/ learning/ coaching/ mentoring both in the conventional and non-conventional sense. Alongside this other research interests include Human Resource Management; Operations and Strategic Management. In addition, Jay has held several additional roles to teaching including module leadership for several modules as well as UG/PG employability support.
- 2014: Post Graduate Certificate in Education,
- 2007: MSc Human Resource Management, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2006: BSc (Hons) Information Engineering with Business, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
Knowledge transfer partnership (KTP)
- 2017: , Cordoba University, Spain
Member of professional body
- 2007: , Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), United Kingdom
- 2014: , Higher Education Academy (HEA), United Kingdom
Validation Panel Member
External validation panel member
- 2018: , University of the West of Scotland, United Kingdom
- Academic and Professional Skills
- Business & Management Strategy
- Career Management and Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Events Industry Experience
- Human Side of Org.
- Managing People
- Marketing Communications
- Mega and Major Events (Hong Kong)
- People and Org. in Context
- Research Project
- The International Events Manager
- Work Related Learning
- Understanding differences
- Fellow of the HEA
Department of Service Sector Management
Sheffield Business School
Idris, J. (2017). The importance of Cultural and Religious Awareness in Course Design.
Idris, J. (2016). Cultural and Religious Awareness in Course Design.
Idris, J. (2015). Literature review on 'holistic view of storytelling as a tool for learner engagement'.
Idris, J. (2015). Holistic view of storytelling as a tool for learner engagement.
Idris, J. (2011). The Importance Of Developing External Partners.
Idris, J. (2011). The Importance Of Performance Management Of External Partners.
Idris, J. (2010). Effective Training & Development Of Casual Staff.
Idris, J. (2010). The Importance Of Managing External Staff/ Consultants.
HEA fellow or senior fellow
- 2014: Fellow of HEA, Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- 2017: Faculty Inspirational Teaching Award, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2007: Chartered Member (MCIPD), Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), United Kingdom