Jihyun’s research interests include indoor environmental quality (IEQ), post occupancy evaluation (POE), occupant comfort, and integrated building energy assessment and optimization for operation and maintenance. Prior to joining SHU, she worked as a researcher in the Center for Building Performance and Diagnostics (CBPD) at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU), USA. She has worked on several IEQ assessment projects worldwide such as the Bank of America Tower, David Lawrence Convention Center, Center for Sustainable Landscapes, and Électricité de France.
Dr. Jihyun Park is a building scientist, environmental designer, instructor, and entrepreneur holding Ph.D. in Building Performance and Diagnostics from Carnegie Mellon University (CMU), USA. She has worked on energy savings and user comfort research funded by U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), Department of Defense (DOD) and General Services Administration (GSA) accelerating the adoption of advanced energy and environmental retrofits.
She has published more than 20 peer-reviewed journal and conference papers and registered 5 patents pending, 2 design registrations, and 3 Trademarks in relation to IEQ evaluation methods, energy simulation and data analytics algorithm. As a Principle Investigator (PI), Jihyun has been awarded $455,500 USD (about £345,000 GBP) on IEQ assessment technology and the analytic platform. Based on her research excellence, she won the 1st place in the 2018 Women Entrepreneurship Awards from Ministry of Small and Medium Enterprises, Korea.
Since 2019, Jihyun has joined the architecture group within the College of Social Sciences and Arts in the Department of Natural and Built Environment at Sheffield Hallam University, demonstrating environmental strategies and technologies in passive and active environmental design. Prior to joining SHU, she taught several classes in the School of Architecture at CMU focused on design for a sustainable built environment. She also served as a lecturer at Seoul National University of Science and Technology, Korea in 2009. In addition to her presence in academia, Jihyun is also an architectural designer with professional experience. She has worked on architectural design for over 40 projects including offices, schools, resorts, residences, medical facilities, and government buildings.
Social Sciences and Arts
Environment and Technology 2
Environment and Technology 3
Research Interests: Environmental Design, Post Occupancy Evaluation, Indoor Environment Quality, Occupant Centric Built Environment, Energy Modelling, Big data, Data Mining, Artificial Intelligence
• 2016 - 2018, Energy Conservation Measures Research, U.S. General Service Administration (GSA)
• 2009 - 2018, National Environmental Assessment Toolkit (NEAT), CBPD, CMU
• 2014 - 2016, The Consortium for Building Energy Innovation (CBEI), U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
• 2013 - 2015, Environmental Security Technology Certification Program, U.S. Department of Defense (DOD)
• 2011 - 2013, Energy Efficient Buildings Hub (EEB Hub), DOE, USA
• 2012 - 2013, Center for Building Energy Research and Development, National Science Foundation (NSF)
• 2012 - 2013, Integrated Building Control and Energy Management Demonstration, SIEMENS and DOE
• 2010 - 2011, Greater Philadelphia Innovation Cluster (GPIC), DOE
• 2010 - 2011, David Lawrence Convention Center - Building in Operation Project, GBA, USGBC, Pittsburgh, PA
• 2009 - 2010, Bank of America (BoA) Tower Post Occupancy Evaluation, New York, NY, USA • 2009 - 2015, Building Investment Decision Support (BIDS), CBPD, CMU, Pittsburgh, PA
Sponsors - Earned Grant
• 2011-2016 U.S. Department of Energy • 2013-2015, U.S. Department of Defense
• 2016-2018, U.S. General Service Administration
• 2017-2018, Korea Electric Power Corporation
• 2017-2018, National IT Industry Promotion Agency
• 2017-2018, Korea Ministry of Small and Medium Enterprises
Park, J., Loftness, V., Aziz, A., & Wang, T.H. (2020). Corrigendum to critical factors and thresholds for user satisfaction on air quality in office environments (Building and Environment (2019) 164, (S0360132319305207), (10.1016/j.buildenv.2019.106310)). Building and Environment, 169. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2019.106453
Park, J., Loftness, V., Aziz, A., & Wang, T.H. (2019). Critical factors and thresholds for user satisfaction on air quality in office environments. Building and Environment, 164, 106310. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2019.106310
Park, J., Loftness, V., & Aziz, A. (2018). Post-Occupancy Evaluation and IEQ Measurements from 64 Office Buildings: Critical Factors and Thresholds for User Satisfaction on Thermal Quality. Buildings, 8 (11), 156. http://doi.org/10.3390/buildings8110156
Park, J.H., Loftness, V., & Aziz, A. (2016). Strategies to Achieve Optimum Visual Quality for Maximum Occupant Satisfaction. In ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings, Pacific Grove, California, USA, 21 August 2016 - 26 August 2016. The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy: https://aceee.org/files/proceedings/2016/data/papers/4_818.pdf
Park, J.H., Lei, Y., Song, Y., & Moron Rojas, R. (2015). Comparison of simplified IEQ toolkit and robust instrument data in POE field measurements. Proceedings of Engineering Sustainability.
Lam, K.P., Zhao, J., Ydstie, E.B., Wirick, J., Qi, M., & Park, J.H. (2014). An EnergyPlus whole building energy model calibration method for office buildings using occupant behavior data mining and empirical data. ASHRAE Journal, 160-167. https://www.techstreet.com/ashrae/standards/an-energy-plus-whole-building-model-calibration-method-for-office-buildings-using-occupant-behavior-data-mining-and-empirical-data?gateway_code=ashrae&product_id=1883955
Park, J., Aziz, A., Li, K., & Covington, C. (2013). ENERGY PERFORMANCE MODELING OF AN OFFICE BUILDING AND ITS EVALUATION Post-occupancy evaluation and energy efficiency of the building. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 18TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMPUTER-AIDED ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN RESEARCH IN ASIA (CAADRIA 2013), 209-218.
Park, J., Aziz, A., Li, K., & Covington, C. (2013). Energy performance modeling of an office building and its evaluation. Open Systems - Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia, CAADRIA 2013, 209-218.
Park, J.H., Aziz, A., & Loftness, V. (2013). Post-occupancy evaluation for energy conservation, superior IEQ & increased occupant satisfaction. Proceedings of IFMA's World Workplace 2013 Conference and Expo. https://ifma.confex.com/ifma/ww2013/webprogram/Session3887.html
Park J, , Wang T, , Witt A, , & Loftness V, (2013). Data Acquisition and Visualization for IEQ Assessment: A case study of daylight field measurement. In PLEA, Munich, Germany, 10 September 2013 - 12 February 2019. The Technical University of Munich (TUM)
Wang T, , Park J, , & Witt A, (2013). Integrated Indoor Environmental Quality Assessment Methods for Occupant Comfort and Productivity. In CISBAT 2013, 4 September 2013 - 6 September 2013.
Park, J.H., Wang, T.-.H., & Witt, A. (2013). Integrated indoor environmental quality assessment methods for occupant comfort and productivity: From data acquisition to visualization. In Scartezzini, J.-.L. (Ed.) CISBAT - International Conference on Cleantech for Smart Cities & Buildings-From Nano to Urban Scale, Lausanne, Switzerland, 4 September 2013 - 6 September 2013 (pp. 487-494). The Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL): http://doi.org/10.5075/epfl-infoscience-190600
Park, J.H., Wang, T.-.H., & Witt, A. Data Acquisition and Visualisation for Indoor Environmental Q uality Assessment: A case study of daylight field measurement. In CISBAT, Lausanne, Switzerland. The Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
Loftness, V., Hartkopf, V., Aziz, A., Choi, J.H., & Park, J. (2017). Critical frameworks for building evaluation: User satisfaction, environmental measurements and the technical attributes of building systems (POE + M). In Building Performance Evaluation: From Delivery Process to Life Cycle Phases. (pp. 29-48). http://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-56862-1_3
• Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC) from Passive House Institute U.S (PHIUS), 2015.
• Accredited Professional in Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design, Building Design and Construction (LEED AP BD+C) by U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), 2015.
• Reviewer, Building and Environment (ISSN: 0360-1323) journal by Elsevier, 2016-.
• Reviewer, Buildings (ISSN 2075-5309) journal by MDPI, 2019-.
• Reviewer, ACEEE (The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy) conference, 2016.
• Reviewer, UbiComp (ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing) conference, 2016.
• Keynote speaker, Innovative strategies and actions for the quaternary industry in Korea, Korea Institute of Service Industry, National Assembly of South Korea, 2017.
• 1st place, Minister’s prize (Ministry of Small and Medium Business Administration) in the19th Women Entrepreneur Awards, Korea, August 2018.
• Silver medal in 2018 BIXPO Awards by KEPCO (Korea Electric Power Corporation), November 2018.
• 2nd place, Korean Electronics Association (KEA) chairman award in IoT Innovative Challenge League by Samsung electronics, October 2018. • Green Award, The 12th Korea Green Energy Awards, by Korea Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP), May 2018.