I am a Research Fellow in the Sport Industry Research Centre. My particular areas of research interest include understanding participation in sport, including barriers to participation and participation in minority groups, particularly women and girls; the outcomes of sport, including the physical and the social outcomes, such as the development of identity and community through sport; and the health and fitness industry, including new trends in fitness practices.
I have a background in Sociology, with a PhD in Sociology and an MA in Sociological Research Methods, with substantial experience in a range of both qualitative and quantitative methods of research. I also have an MSc in Sport Management from Sheffield Hallam University.
My book Femininity, Feminism and Recreational Pole Dancing (2015) explores the phenomenon of pole dancing as an increasingly popular fitness and leisure activity for women, taught in health and fitness clubs across the country. It is based on empirical research conducted for my PhD and uncovers the stories and experiences of the women who participate in these classes, and examines what the mainstreaming of this type of sexualised dance means for the women who practice it.
Within SIRC, I conduct research and consultancy projects for a wide range of clients including local and national government, charitable organisations and National Governing Bodies of sport. The areas of work that I contribute most to include school sport, the social impact of sport, gender and sport, programme evaluation, and literature reviews.
I have substantial project management experience and in 2014 I led on the evaluation of the Sport England / Bury Council funded project Women and Girls Sport Behaviour and Attitude Change in Bury, for which the research explored the added value of the project for women, girls, and for the local community in Bury.
Prior to joining SIRC in 2013, I worked on a European Commission funded project exploring organisational change in policing, for which I coordinated a systematic literature review on information sharing in policing across ten European countries.
My key skills include:
• Literature reviews / evidence reviews, including systematic literature reviews
• Qualitative methodologies including ethnographic / observational research
• Developing case studies
• Project planning and project management
• Social return on investment (SROI) analysis
I have taught on a range of foundation level and undergraduate modules including:
• Research methods
• Social perceptions of leisure
• Social and political studies
I supervise undergraduate student projects within sport on a range of topics.
Examples of recent projects include:
• Golf in Society (2020-21) Evaluation of golf programme for older adults
• Sheffield City Council (2020-2022) Evaluation of Move More Empowering Communities
• Sheffield City Council (2020-2021) Evaluation of This Girl Can Sheffield
• BUCS (2019) Low SEG students and participation in sport
• Department of Health and Social Care (2019-2020) Review of the least active pupils in secondary schools in deprived areas
• Sport England (2018) Sport outcomes evidence review update
• Sport England (2017) Evidence review – analysis of Active Lives outcomes
• Badminton England (2017) Literature review exploring health and wellbeing outcomes
• Rugby Football Union (2017) Literature review exploring wellbeing and social outcomes
• England Golf Partnership (2016) Literature review exploring Sport England outcome areas
• StreetGames (2015) Literature review exploring free / low cost sporting offers
• Comic Relief (2015) Sport for development evaluation
• Sport England / Bury Council (2013-14) Evaluation of women and girls sport behaviour and attitude change in Bury
• BUCS (2013) The impact of engagement in sport on graduate employability
Griffiths, K., Moore, R., & Brunton, J. (2020). Sport and physical activity habits, behaviours and barriers to participation in university students: an exploration by socio-economic group. Sport, Education and Society. http://doi.org/10.1080/13573322.2020.1837766
Birdi, K., Griffiths, K., Turgoose, C., Alsina, V., Andrei, D., Băban, A., ... Vonaș, G. (2020). Factors influencing cross-border knowledge sharing by police organisations: an integration of ten European case studies. Police Practice and Research, 1-20. http://doi.org/10.1080/15614263.2020.1789462
Griffiths, K., Bullough, S., Shibli, S., & Wilson, J. (2017). The impact of engagement in sport on graduate employability: implications for higher education policy and practice. International Journal of Sport Policy and Politics, 9 (3), 431-451. http://doi.org/10.1080/19406940.2017.1359648
Griffiths, K., Birdi, K., Alsina, V., Andrei, D., Baban, A., Bayeral, P.S., ... Vonas, G. (2016). Knowledge sharing practices and issues in policing contexts: a systematic review of the literature. European Journal of Policing Studies, 3 (3), 267-291. http://www.maklu-online.eu/en/tijdschrift/ejps/volume-3/issue-3/knowledge-sharing-practices-and-issues-policing-co/
Griffiths, K. (2015). Femininity, feminism and recreational pole dancing. Abingdon: Routledge.
Griffiths, K., Davies, L., & Christy, E. (2021). The value of sport in NEOM: Review of evidence on the social impact of sport – summary report. NEOM / 4 Global.
Griffiths, K., Davies, L., & Christy, E. (2021). The value of sport in NEOM: Review of evidence on the social impact of sport. NEOM / 4 Global.
Davies, L., Ramchandani, G., Griffiths, K., & Christy, E. (2021). The value of sport in NEOM: Research findings. NEOM / 4 Global.
Griffiths, K., Davies, L., & Christy, E. (2021). The value of sport in Lima: Review of evidence on the social impact of sport – summary report. Lima Legacy Company / 4 Global.
Griffiths, K., Davies, L., & Christy, E. (2021). The value of sport in Lima: Review of evidence on the social impact of sport. Lima Legacy Company / 4 Global.
Davies, L., Mansfield, L., Griffiths, K., John, A., Christy, E., & Kay, T. (2019). Sport outcomes evidence review: Subjective wellbeing; individual development; social and community development; economic development. Sport England.
Davies, L., Shibli, S., Kokolakakis, T., Griffiths, K., & Ramchandani, G. (2017). Active Lives Adult Survey: Understanding mental wellbeing, individual development and social and community development in the context of participation and volunteering in sport and physical activity (May 16-17). Technical report. Sport England.
Davies, L., Taylor, P., Ramchandani, G., Christy, E., & Griffiths, K. (2016). Social Return on Investment for golf in England. England Golf Partnership.
Davies, L., Shibli, S., & Griffiths, K. (2016). Social impact of golf: Desk study and insight brief. England Golf Partnership.
I would welcome enquiries from potential students wishing to study for a PhD in the areas of:
• Sport sociology
• Sport participation
• Gender and sport
• The social impact of sport