Paul is Head of Materials and Corrosion Technology for Mott MacDonald, based in Altrincham near Manchester. His team are internationally recognised for their work on cathodic protection design and service life prediction through numerical modelling.
He is a Fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, a Fellow and Past President of the Institute of Corrosion, a Chartered Materials Engineer, a Chartered Corrosion Scientist and a Certificated Corrosion Specialist with the National Association of Corrosion Engineers.
Main areas of interest and expertise include:
• Corrosion of metals.
• The assessment and repair of structures affected by degradation and corrosion.
• Research and development to achieve enhanced durability of structural materials.
• Selection of materials, coatings and surface treatments for resistance to chemical and mechanical attack, including corrosion and abrasion.
• Development and design of impressed and sacrificial cathodic protection systems for use on marine and reinforced concrete structures.
• Durability and performance of structural and engineering materials including polymers.
• Sustainability and reuse of materials and development of recycling protocols.
• Research and development of investigation techniques and protective systems for plain, reinforced and pre-stressed concrete and steel-framed structures, including cathodic protection and corrosion inhibitors.
• Preparation of expert evidence on corrosion, cathodic protection, coatings, road surfacing, reinforced and pre-stressed concrete, polymers and stainless steels.