Punita is a research fellow within Health and Social Care Research.
Punita has been working as a Research Fellow in the Faculty of Health and Wellbeing at Sheffield Hallam University since 2008. For the three years previous she worked as a Research Associate at the University of Sheffield, seconded to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. With a background in sociology, social policy and development studies, she has been working on applied and academic projects in India and the UK. Her research interests over the last six years have focused on gender inequalities, race/ethnicity, household economies, food and families and parenting among South Asians in the UK and South Asia.
Specialist areas of interest
- Household economies
- Food choice, consumption and food practices
- Women's employment and empowerment
- Families and personal relationships: fathering, mothering, children's wellbeing
- Poverty and social exclusion, particularly gender and child poverty
- Gender and ethnic inequalities in health
- Participation theories and community engagement
Social Work, Social Care and Community Studies
Health And Wellbeing
- Centre for Health and Social Care Research
Current and Recently Completed Projects include
2013-2017: Intra-household power dynamics: understanding resource-access and food consumption in Pakistani and Gujarati families in the UK, India and Pakistan
2015 -2016: Increasing the uptake of primary and community long term conditions services in Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) communities in Nottingham an -exploratory research study
2013: Building resilience in early years: a qualitative research study.
Chowbey, P. Garrick, R. (2014) Building Resilience In Early Years: A Case Study of An Inner City School, Research Summary
Piercy, H., Salway, S. & Chowbey, P. (2012) A critical review of interventions to increase the uptake of mammography in minority ethnic populations, NIHR CLAHRC for South Yorkshire, NHS Sheffield
Turner, D., Salway, S., Chowbey, P., & Mir, G., (2012) Mini Case Study Book: Real world examples of using evidence to improve health services for minority ethnic people, NIHR CLAHRC for South Yorkshire
Chowbey, P., & Salway S. (2011) Maternity services for migrant and minority ethnic women: needs and action points, The Colour of Health
Chowbey, P., Piercy, H. & Salway, S. (2010) Care pathway to revascularisation: experiences of Pakistani women and health care practitioners in Sheffield, a report for Sheffield PCT
Chowbey P., Salway S, Gerrish K, Ismail M, Moullin, M (2008) Responding to Diverse Needs: Eating Disorders in 'BME Communities' in Sheffield, Syeda and NHS Sheffield
CHOWBEY, Punita (2017). What is food without love? The micro-politics of food practices in South Asians in Britain, India and Pakistan. Sociological Research Online, 22 (3), 165-185.
CHOWBEY, Punita (2017). Women's narratives of economic abuse and financial strategies in Britain and South Asia. Psychology of Violence, 7 (3), 459-468.
BASHIR, Nadia, DAYSON, Christopher, MCCARTHY, Lindsey, ISMAIL, Mubarak and CHOWBEY, Punita (2016). Making the most of primary and community services : what works for BAME people with long-term conditions? Project Report. Sheffield Hallam University.
CHOWBEY, Punita (2016). Employment, masculinities and domestic violence in 'fragile' contexts: Pakistani women in Pakistan and the UK. Gender & Development, 24 (3), 493-509.
CHOWBEY, Punita and HARROP, Deborah (2016). Healthy eating in UK minority ethnic households : influences and way forward. Discussion Paper. Race Equality Foundation.
CHOWBEY, Punita and SALWAY, Sarah (2016). 'I feel my Dad every moment!': memory, emotion and embodiment in British South Asian fathering practices. In: POOLEY, Sian and QURESHI, Kaveri, (eds.) Parenthood between generations: transforming reproductive cultures. Fertility, Reproduction and Sexuality (32). Brooklyn, NY and Oxford, Berghahn Books.
SALWAY, Sarah, CHOWBEY, Punita, SUCH, Elizabeth and FERGUSON, Beverly (2015). Researching health inequalities with Community Researchers : practical, methodological and ethical challenges of an ‘inclusive’ research approach. Research Involvement and Engagement, 1 (9).
CHOWBEY, Punita, GARRICK, Ros and HARROP, Deborah (2015). Preparing minority ethnic children for starting primary school: integrating health and education. Other. London, Race Equality Foundation.
QURESHI, Kaveri, SALWAY, Sarah, CHOWBEY, Punita and PLATT, Lucinda (2014). Long-term ill health and the social embeddedness of work: a study in a post-industrial, multi-ethnic locality in the UK. Sociology of health and illness, 36 (7), 955-969.
ISMAIL, Mubarak, GERRISH, Kate, NAISBY, Andrew, SALWAY, Sarah and CHOWBEY, Punita (2014). Engaging minorities in researching sensitive health topics by using a participatory approach. Nurse researcher, 22 (2), 44-48.
SALWAY, Sarah, PIERCY, Hilary, CHOWBEY, Punita, BREWINS, Louise and DHOOT, Permjeet (2013). Improving capacity in ethnicity and health research: report of a tailored programme for NHS Public Health practitioners. Primary health care research and development, 14 (04), 330-340.
HIGGINBOTTOM, Gina, REIME, Birgit, BHARJ, Kuldip, CHOWBEY, Punita, ERTAN, Kubilay, FOSTER-BOUCHER, Caroline, FRIEDRICH, Jule, GERRISH, Kate, KENTENICH, Heribert, MUMTAZ, Zubia, O’BRIEN, Beverley and SALWAY, Sarah (2013). Migration and maternity: insights of context, health policy, and research evidence on experiences and outcomes from a three country preliminary study across Germany, Canada, and the United Kingdom. Health Care for Women International, 34 (11), 936-965.
CHOWBEY, Punita, SALWAY, Sarah and CLARKE, Lynda (2013). Supporting fathers in multi-ethnic societies: insights from British Asian fathers. Journal of Social Policy, 42 (02), 391-408.
CHOWBEY, Punita, SALWAY, Sarah and ISMAIL, Mubarak (2012). Influences on diagnosis and treatment of eating disorders among minority ethnic people in the UK. Journal of Public Mental Health, 11 (2), 54-64.
PIERCY, Hilary, CHOWBEY, Punita, SOADY, John, DHOOT, Parmjeet, WILLIS, Lerleen and SALWAY, Sarah (2012). A care pathway approach to identifying factors that impact on diagnosis of heart disease in British Pakistani women. Ethnicity and Inequalities in Health and Social Care, 5 (3), 78-88.
SALWAY, Sarah, HIGGINBOTTOM, Gina, REIME, Birgit, BHARJ, Kuldip, CHOWBEY, Punita, FOSTER, Caroline, FRIEDRICH, Jule, GERRISH, Kate, MUMTAZ, Zubia and O'BRIEN, Beverley (2011). Contributions and challenges of cross-national comparative research in migration, ethnicity and health: insights from a preliminary study of maternal health in Germany, Canada and the UK. BMC Public Health, 11 (514).
ALLMARK, Peter and CHOWBEY, Punita (2010). Shaping healthy communities: a report on the second symposium on the role of local authorities in reducing health inequalities. Project Report. Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam University. (Unpublished)
SALWAY, Sarah, HARRISS, Kaveri and CHOWBEY, Punita (2010). Using participatory, observational and ‘Rapid Appraisal’ methods: researching health and illness. In: MASON, Jennifer and DALE, Angela, (eds.) Understanding social research: thinking creatively about method. Sage Publications Ltd, 169-186.
SALWAY, Sarah, CHOWBEY, Punita and CLARKE, Lynda (2009). Parenting in moden Britain: understanding the experiences of Asian fathers. York, Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
PLATT, Lucinda, SALWAY, Sarah, CHOWBEY, Punita and HARRISS, Kaveri (2008). Ill-health in the family: the intersection of employment and caring across households from four ethnic groups. Benefits: The Journal of Poverty and Social Justice, 16 (1), 33-45.
SALWAY, S., PLATT, L., HARRISS, K. and CHOWBEY, P. (2007). Long-term health conditions and Disability Living Allowance: exploring ethnic differences and similarities in access. Sociology of health and illness., 29 (6), 907-930.
- Chowbey, P. (2016) Employment, masculinities and domestic violence in 'fragile' contexts: Pakistani women in Pakistan and the UK, Applying mixed methods: Studying work in Asia, Social Policy Association Annual conference, Belfast
- Chowbey, P. (June 2016) Employment, masculinities and domestic violence in 'fragile' contexts: Pakistani women in Pakistan and the UK, Applying mixed methods: Studying work in Asia, GIGA German Institute for Global and Area Studies, Hamburg
- Olsen, W. and Chowbey, P. (2015) Household Dynamics, Economic Marginalization/Integration, and Women’s Issues in Asia, panel in 24th IAFFE Annual Conference Gender Equality in Challenging Times, Berlin. Paper titled, Household resources and 'institutional intersectionality' in Britain, India and Pakistan
- Chowbey, P. (2015) The institutional embededness of household resource allocation in Britain, India and Pakistan’, Social Policy Association Annual conference, Belfast
- Chowbey, P. (2014) Intra-household power dynamics and food consumption in Pakistani and Gujarati families in the UK, India and Pakistan BSA Social Policy Association Annual Conference, Sheffield
- Chowbey, P. (2014,) Intra-household power dynamics and food consumption in Pakistani and Gujarati families in the UK, India and Pakistan BSA Food Study Group Conference: Food & Society, London
- Chowbey, P and Salway, S. (April 2014)- ‘I feel my dad every moment!’: salience of memories of own fathers in British South Asian fathering practices, British Sociological Association Annual Conference, Leeds
- Chowbey, P. (2014) Gender, intimacy ideals and financial power within households, Gender, Equality and Intimacy: (un)comfortable bedfellows? Institute of Education, London (abstract accepted but withdrawn due to urgent international travel)
- Chowbey, P, & Salway, S. (2013): I ‘Feed them nuggets of gold, but watch them with the eye of a tiger!’:British South Asian fathers talking about memories of their own fathers, Fertility and Reproduction Seminars, University of Oxford
- Garrick, R. and Chowbey, P. (2013) Building Resilience: Ethnic minority children starting school in England. Paper to be presented at the 23rd European Early Childhood Education Research Association (EECERA) conference, Talinn, Estonia, August 28-31.
- Chowbey, P. & Salway, S. (2013) Alone in a crowd: Barriers in social capital activation, A case study of UK Ghanaians, British Sociological Association Annual Conference, London
- Chowbey, P, Salway, S., & Clarke, L. (April 2012): Supporting fathers in multi-ethnic societies: Insights from British Asian fathers, British Sociological Association Annual Conference, Leeds
- Chowbey, P (April 2012) Keynote speaker: Parenting in Modern Britain: Understanding the Experiences of Asian Fathers, Educating the next generation, Sheffield
- Chowbey P (April, 2011) How to engage with minority ethnic fathers in the UK, Sheffield City Council Research seminar, Sheffield
- Chowbey P, Salway, S. (Nov, 2010) Working with and against ethnic categories in a study of long-term ill health and poverty, Promoting Methodological Innovation and Capacity Building in Research on ethnicity, ESRC Seminar series Sheffield
- Chowbey, P. and Salway, S. (2011) Engaging Ghanaian community in research, Researching ethnicity: what, why and how? ESRC Seminar series, Poster presentation, Manchester
- Chowbey, P., Salway, S. & Clarke, L. (2009) Understanding the experiences of Asian fathers in the UK, the Quadrant, Sheffield
- Salway, S., Chowbey, P., & Clarke, L. (2009) Understanding the experiences of South Asian fathers in the UK, Family and Parenting Institute, London
- Salway, S., Reime, B.,Chowbey, P. et al. (October 2-5, 2010) Migration, minorities and maternity services: a three country international comparison, The 16th Qualitative health Research Conference Vancouver, Canada
Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?