Qinling is a senior lecturer in thermo-fluids. She is interested in computational fluid dynamics (CFD) methodology and applications. Before moving to Sheffield Hallam, she was a research associate in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP), University of Cambridge.
Qinling also spent part time in the CFD Lab, which is part of the Acoustics, Fluid Mechanics, Turbomachinery and Thermodynamics Division, Engineering Department, University of Cambridge.
From 2003-2006, she worked as a research associate in the Aeronautical and Automatics Engineering Department, Loughborough University.
She studied for a PhD degree in the Aerodynamic Flight Mechanics Research Group, Southampton University, in 2003. Qinling obtained her first and master degrees, and used to be a lecturer, at Xi'an Jiaotong University, China.
Department of Engineering and Mathematics
Business, Technology and Enterprise
- Further Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics;
- Advanced CFD;
- Body Styling & CFD.
- Materials and Engineering Research Institute
Areas of research interests:
• LES of Supersonic Jet in crossflow (SJICF);
• Energy Storage;
• Turbomachinery design and performance;
• Fundamentals of turbulence;
• Direct numerical simulation (DNS) of compressibility effects in wall-bounded flow;
• Shockwave/boundary layer interaction using DNS;
• Large eddy simulation (LES) of fan/outlet guide vane (OGV) broadband noise prediction;
• LES for short take-off and vertical landing aircraft (STOVL);
• Turbine blade cooling effectiveness (PhD student's work);
• Fluid-structure interaction (FSI).
Zhao, M., Bian, Y., Li, Q., & Ye, T. (2019). Large eddy simulation of transverse single/double jet in supersonic crossflow. Aerospace Science and Technology, 89, 31-45. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2019.03.044
Zhao, M., Li, Q., & Ye, T. (2019). Investigation of the mixing characteristics in a transverse hydrogen injection combustor with an inlet compression ramp. Acta Astronautica. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.actaastro.2019.02.026
Bian, Y., Zhao, M., Li, Q., & Ye, T. (2018). Characteristics and mixing enhancement of a self-throttling system in a supersonic flow with transverse injections. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 43 (29), 13550-13562. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2018.05.114
Cheng, L., Xia, G., Li, Q., & Thome, J.R. (2018). Fundamental issues, technology development and challenges of boiling heat transfer, critical heat flux and two-phase flow phenomena with nanofluids. Heat Transfer Engineering, 1-36. http://doi.org/10.1080/01457632.2018.1470285
Bég, O.A., Ramachandra Prasad, V., Vasu, B., Bhaskar Reddy, N., Li, Q., & Bhargava, R. (2011). Free convection heat and mass transfer from an isothermal sphere to a micropolar regime with Soret/Dufour effects. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54 (1-3), 9-18. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2010.10.005
Daud, H.A., Li, Q., Beg, O.A., & AbdulGhani, S.A.A. (2011). Numerical investigations of wall-bounded turbulence. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 225 (5), 1163-1174. http://doi.org/10.1177/09544062JMES2524
Li, Q., Page, G.J., & McGuirk, J.J. (2007). Large-eddy simulation of twin impinging jets in cross-flow. The Aeronautical Journal, 111 (1117), 195-206. http://doi.org/10.1017/S0001924000004450
Sandham, N.D., Li, Q., & Yee, H.C. (2002). Entropy Splitting for High-Order Numerical Simulation of Compressible Turbulence. Journal of Computational Physics, 178 (2), 307-322. http://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.2002.7022
Curiel Sosa, J.L., Muñoz, J.J., Pinho, S.T., Li, Q., & Beg, O.A. (2012). Simulation of damage on laminates. ECCOMAS 2012 - European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, e-Book Full Papers, 1940-1946.
Daud, H.A., Li, Q., Bég, O.A., & Abdulghani, S.A.A. (2011). Numerical simulation of blowing ratio effects on film cooling on a gas turbine blade. WIT Transactions on Modelling and Simulation, 51, 279-292. http://doi.org/10.2495/CMEM110251
Li, Q., Peake, N., & Savill, M. (2009). Grid-refined LES predictions for Fan-OGV broadband noise. 15th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference (30th AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference).
Li, Q., Peake, N., & Savill, M. (2008). Large eddy simulations for fan-OGV broadband noise prediction. 14th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference (29th AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference).
Page, G., Li, Q., McGuirk, J., & Richardson, G. (2007). Large Eddy Simulation of a Harrier Aircraft at Touch Down. 25th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference. http://doi.org/10.2514/6.2007-4294
Li, Q., Page, G., & McGuirk, J. (2006). LES of Impinging Jet Flows Relevant to Vertical Landing Aircraft Using an Unstructured Mesh Approach. 24th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference. http://doi.org/10.2514/6.2006-2997
Tristanto, I., Li, Q., Page, G., & McGuirk, J. (2006). On the Effect of Convective Flux Formulation for LES of Compressible Flows Using Hybrid Unstructured Meshes. 36th AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference and Exhibit. http://doi.org/10.2514/6.2006-3739
Page, G., Li, Q., & McGuirk, J. (2005). LES of Impinging Jet Flows Relevant to Vertical Landing Aircraft. 23rd AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference. http://doi.org/10.2514/6.2005-5226
Theses / Dissertations
Daud, H.A. (2012). Numerical and experimental study of flow in a gas turbine chamber. (Doctoral thesis). Supervised by Anwar Beg, O., & Li, Q.
- Reviewer of Journal of Applied Computational Methods, June 2018 - present.
- Distinguished Visiting Scholar, School of Aerospace Engineering, Beijing Institute of Technology (BIT), 1st June - 30th Sept 2017.
- Distinguished Visiting Scholar, School of Aerospace Engineering, Beijing Institute of Technology (BIT), 19th - 30th December 2016.
- Reviewer for Physics of Gases, China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics (CAAA), December 2016 - present.
- IMechE Automotive Division in Yorkshire, University co-opted member (January 2015 - July 2018), https://nearyou.imeche.org/near-you/UK/Yorkshire/Yorkshire-Automobile
- Member of Institute of Engineering & Technology (IET), 2015 - 2018.
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA, subject to renew).
- Royal Aeronautics Society (RAeS, subject to renew).
Qinling has previously acted as PhD supervisor for Hari Daud on Numerical and Experimental Study of Flow in a Gas Turbine Chamber, 2012.