Qinling is a senior lecturer in thermo-fluids. She is interested in computational fluid dynamics (CFD) methodology and applications. Before moving to Sheffield Hallam, she was a research associate in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP), University of Cambridge.
Qinling also spent part time in the CFD Lab, which is part of the Acoustics, Fluid Mechanics, Turbomachinery and Thermodynamics Division, Engineering Department, University of Cambridge.
From 2003-2006, she worked as a research associate in the Aeronautical and Automatics Engineering Department, Loughborough University.
She studied for a PhD degree in the Aerodynamic Flight Mechanics Research Group, Southampton University, in 2003. Qinling obtained her first and master degrees, and used to be a lecturer, at Xi'an Jiaotong University, China.
Department of Engineering and Mathematics
Science, Technology and Arts
- Further Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics;
- Advanced CFD;
- Body Styling & CFD.
- Materials and Engineering Research Institute
Areas of research interests:
• LES of Supersonic Jet in crossflow (SJICF);
• Energy Storage;
• Turbomachinery design and performance;
• Fundamentals of turbulence;
• Direct numerical simulation (DNS) of compressibility effects in wall-bounded flow;
• Shockwave/boundary layer interaction using DNS;
• Large eddy simulation (LES) of fan/outlet guide vane (OGV) broadband noise prediction;
• LES for short take-off and vertical landing aircraft (STOVL);
• Turbine blade cooling effectiveness (PhD student's work);
• Fluid-structure interaction (FSI).
- Reviewer of Journal of Applied Computational Methods, June 2018 - present.
- Distinguished Visiting Scholar, School of Aerospace Engineering, Beijing Institute of Technology (BIT), 1st June - 30th Sept 2017.
- Distinguished Visiting Scholar, School of Aerospace Engineering, Beijing Institute of Technology (BIT), 19th - 30th December 2016.
- Reviewer for Physics of Gases, China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics (CAAA), December 2016 - present.
- IMechE Automotive Division in Yorkshire, University co-opted member (January 2015 - July 2018), https://nearyou.imeche.org/near-you/UK/Yorkshire/Yorkshire-Automobile
- Member of Institute of Engineering & Technology (IET), 2015 - 2018.
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA, subject to renew).
- Royal Aeronautics Society (RAeS, subject to renew).
Qinling has previously acted as PhD supervisor for Hari Daud on Numerical and Experimental Study of Flow in a Gas Turbine Chamber, 2012.