The AWRC Wellbeing Accelerator
Helping startups bring health and wellbeing innovations to market
The AWRC Wellbeing Accelerator is an R&D-focused programme that supports pre-revenue and early-stage companies* developing products or services with health and wellbeing applications that align with the AWRCs areas of research focus.
The programme is accessed via a competitive application process and provides the accepted cohort with a range of valuable support to help them get their innovation closer to market and/or enter new markets.
The programme does not take equity and is fully funded via University contributions and private sector sponsorship.
Based in Sheffield Hallam’s Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre, participants have access to world-class R&D capabilities to carry out design and rapid prototyping, through to precision engineering of prototype components.
The centre also houses laboratories for proof-of-concept testing and a clinical research floor to test innovations with end-users for usability assessments or initial pilot studies to support development of the evidence base.
The AWRC also leverages its ecosystem of supportive individuals and organisations to help startup founders to grow their networks; forge new collaborations and help to secure public and private investment.
Following the defined accelerator programme, the programme team will work with the cohort to develop collaborative grant funding applications - decided on a case by case basis following our assessment of the fit to the specific call criteria.
The application briefing for the next programme will take place in November 2021, with applications accepted between 1st December 2021 – 30th January 2022. Applications will be reviewed and decisions made through February 2022 ready for virtual onboarding from March 2022. All programme activities will take place between March – July 2022.
*will also consider small, more established SMEs
- Up to £20,000 of support to accelerate product development and market access - covers time with our academic delivery teams, related consumables and specialist external consultants (where required)
- Access to our specialist facilities, high-end equipment and incubator space
- Workshops on topics such as cyber security, artificial intelligence, selling into the NHS, medical device regulations and writing successful grant applications
- Mentoring sessions from leading industry figures (PDF, 790.1KB)
- Introductions to our investor network
- Events and networking opportunities
- Access to partner products and services
Applications are now closed - email the team to be informed when the next call opens - email@example.com