Product Design and Development Engineer
The Level 6 Product Design and Development Engineer Degree Apprenticeship has been designed by a Trailblazer of leading industry employers. The apprenticeship provides an alternative route to recruit school leavers, and the opportunity to ‘grow your own’ talent.
The programme is designed to embed the apprentice's experience within the workplace into their educational development. Suitable both for new recruits (eg school leavers) and for developing existing employees wishing to formalise their experience or develop their skills in a new area.
Product Design and Development Engineers work on all stages of product creation, product modification and product componentry. They support activities ranging on early concept feasibility, Computer Aided Design and other modelling, activities and stages through to final preparation for launch and customers. This includes working in concept studios, rapid prototyping, assembly, testing, validating and analysing performance. Typically they work closely with suppliers and managers in bring new concepts to life or contributing to redesigns of existing products.
Our course will deliver against the nationally recognised Level 6 Product Design and Development Engineer Degree Apprenticeship Standard and on successful completion participants will gain the BEng (Hons) degree.
If you have 20 or more potential apprentices, we can tailor a programme to your business.
Find out more information on the course content for
Course length and entry requirements
The programme is usually studied consecutively for a total of five years. After successfully completing the foundation degree, students continue for two more years of part-time study to gain a BEng honours degree.
Degree apprentices attend university part-time on day release for 24 weeks of the year. Students will be assessed throughout the course with a combination of coursework, in-class timed assessments, examinations and a portfolio.
Participants must have the following entry requirements
- GCSE (or equivalent) mathematics and English language at grade C or grade 4, or above – plus one of the following
- an A-level pass or two AS level passes in a relevant science or technology subject
- 112 points from A levels or BTEC National qualifications, including mathematics and scientific subjects
- an advanced VCE double award in an appropriate engineering, manufacturing or technology topic
- an EdExcel/BTEC/SCOTVEC National Certificate or Diploma in a science or technology-based subject
- a pass in the preparatory year of the Extended Degree Programme Engineering and Mathematics or another suitable science or technology-based foundation or access course containing an appropriate level of mathematics, with an overall average mark of at least 40 per cent
- an equivalent qualification
- The top-up award is suitable if you have a foundation degree or HND in relevant subject and are aiming to develop your qualification to degree level.
Benefits for your business
Our Product Design and Development Engineer Degree Apprenticeship helps you
- get work-ready, graduate-calibre employees embedded within your organisation who truly understand your business and bring fresh perspectives and ideas
- attract and retain the best talent, whilst supporting the youth employment agenda
- generate a return on investment through accelerated development and increased commitment
Find out more about how higher and degree apprenticeships can have a positive impact on your business. You can also read about funding and incentives or explore other useful information, including policies and FAQs.
Get in touch
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0114 225 5000 to speak to our apprenticeships team.
Sheffield Hallam University is not responsible for the content of external websites.